Forums Latest Members
  1. Fuzion Apr 7, 2020

Hello All, my first post.
    I am just starting to learn about Omegas. I recently received a watch that belonged to my Grandfather. From my research i have gathered that it is a 266 movement with a serial number dating to 1952. This watch was bought in Argentina, so at that time Omega would send stainless steel watches to Latin America and the movements were removed from the SS cases and put into locally resourced gold cases.

I had the watch looked at and cleaned by a local watch jeweler who was able to make it work again. Now i am trying to find an appropriate band and buckle for it.

Do you guys have any recommendation around what the era correct band and buckle were for watches this age and where to find them?

I see listings like these on ebay, but i have a feeling they are not authentic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18mm-Black...242204?hash=item2d04928f9c:g:rBkAAOSwcHhdNzjFPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any recommendations would be great. I am willing to spend decent amount on the right band since this watch was a gift and is staying in the family. Thanks

IMG_0033.jpg IMG_0034.jpg

2. hejsam Apr 7, 2020

Are you looking for an original Omega strap from this era (NOS) or just a new made Omega strap that fits this watch?

If you are willing to look outside Omega there is alot of nice straps to choose, I would probably pick an black or brown alligator if you want it more dressed up or a brown calf grained or smooth (Molequin - instagram type of strap) if you want it more "sporty".
    alligator_black_springbar.jpg Skärmavbild 2020-04-07 kl. 21.55.18.png
    Skärmavbild 2020-04-07 kl. 21.56.35.png

N05J3W3 and felsby like this.
  3. Fuzion Apr 8, 2020

Thanks for the Reply hejsam, since i received this as a gift i would like to keep it as original as possible. A new omega strap that would be era correct would be fantastic. Are the ones available on ebay known to be fakes?

Thanks again

4. Dan S Apr 8, 2020

You will not get an authentic Omega strap and rose gold buckle for $46 USD.

I tend to think that it's a waste of time to worry about authentic straps and buckles, but if it really matters to you, I'd suggest putting your energy into finding an authentic rose gold buckle and worry later about finding a strap that you like. It will be hard enough to find the buckle, and it will require a fair amount of research to learn to distinguish authentic from fake. 99% will be fake.

hejsam, kkt and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. hejsam Apr 8, 2020

Aa Dan S says most of the omega straps and buckles you see on eBay are fake. And finding a NOS Omega straps which fits your watch from the right era seems almost impossible.

As mentioned above I would put my money on a nice strap instead and if you feeling for putting in alot of time or money try source an Omega buckle from the right era. That should be possible atleast but not easy!

kkt likes this.
  6. Vitezi Apr 8, 2020

Hello @Fuzion and welcome to the forum!
    As others have posted above, it will be very challenging to find an authentic Omega strap and rose gold buckle from the 1950s. They do come up from time to time on sites such as eBay, so a lot of patience and continuous monitoring of eBay will be required.

Signed "Omega" buckles will be near-impossible to find, especially in rose gold. But it should be somewhat easier to find generic yet period-appropriate buckles. In that same line of thinking, look for period-appropriate straps from current strap makers. There are many strap makers that produce "vintage style" straps, and a few of these produce straps that closely replicate period Omega straps. Or, consider asking a bespoke strap maker to make something for you.

To find an appropriate style of strap for your watch, carefully study the straps in period advertisements from the late 1940s through the 1950s:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingCrouchy and Dan S like this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 8, 2020

My recommendation for strap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-B-CHAMPI...Alligator-MENS-WATCH-BAND-B18-40/283669118699Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Buckle like this would be reasonable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-24-MM-Sp...r-Rubber-Strap-Vintage-Alligator/223898664278Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

That Champion strap is of an ege with your watch, and not an unreasonable choice. It's a pretty safe bet that your watch likely didn't come with a strap anyways.

Logo buckle in that era is not usual, either.

Tom

Dan S likes this.
  8. cristianotom Apr 10, 2020

36780627_2209029465987270_2638561240732925952_n.jpg
    N05J3W3 and DJG2645 like this.
  9. Fuzion Apr 10, 2020

Thanks for the replies and recommendations guys. Those time correct ads really do help to picture what to look for for an appropriate replacement. Thanks again.