Forums Latest Members

SOLD 1952 Bulova Academy Award watch with amazing original box!

1. rkman11 Jun 3, 2019

Every watch sale hurts, let's be honest. This one is certainly no exception! Crazy cool watch with a great story and hands down the coolest vintage box I've ever had the pleasure of owning. As far as I know this is the only time the Academy Awards licensed their name/brand to a watch company. The contract was supposed to be for years, then they got mad at Bulova's advertising and shut the whole thing down with a big ol' lawsuit. It all ended in 1952, which, as per the L2 code on the back of this beaut - means this was the end of the road for this dream pairing.

Link to more on that story:

https://www.watchophilia.com/general-information/academy-award-series/

Okay, some pics of this insane case:

Bulova 1.JPG

(NOTE: anything that looks like distortion is just that - the crystal is highly faceted, as you'll see in the macro shots coming, so certain angles give you distortion. But the dial is 100% original and clean.

Bulova 2.JPG

Bulova 10.JPG

I mean - how amazing is that?!

And wait for it... made in the USA:

Bulova 11.JPG

Now on to pics of this sweet watch. The whole thing was sold to me as NOS, which of course I can't confirm unless I bought it or was given it by the Academy in 1952, which unfortunately I did not. So I'd like to call it VERY GOOD, with vintage wear from storage. Look at the patina on the gold-filled case!

Bulova 3.JPG Bulova 4.JPG Bulova 5.JPG Bulova 6.JPG Bulova 7.JPG Bulova 8.JPG Bulova 9.JPG

DETAILS: Great vintage lines, all incredibly sharp. Patina built up on the gold-fill - all says this thing sat untouched for a long time. (Minus the two times I wore it at the office for a few hours.) As far as I know, all is original and untouched. Original signed crown, original matching JB Champion bracelet, original two tone dial that really pops in the light, and that amazing diamond faceted crystal (looks to be one scratch on the very bottom of the lowest facet, other than that just dust/lint picked up by the macro shots). Size is app. 22mm (not including crown) by 40mm to lug tips. Wears slightly larger than the numbers with the oversized flared lugs and metal bracelet that doesn’t taper.

21 jewel manual wind movement. My assumption is it hasn't been serviced lately, if ever. That being said, it winds and sets beautifully, has a crazy long power reserve, and doesn't seem to lose or gain any time that I can see. Of course a service is recommended for daily wear.

And that brings me to the reason I'm selling this - I work in the entertainment business and bought this because it spoke to my two passions. It was my two worlds coming together. But it has mostly sat on display on a shelf. That's no way to treat this piece - someone needs to wear it and imagine they just won an Oscar!

I searched for a while to find one that not only had the original bracelet but the box as well. All had either been swapped out for a strap, or had no box or a broken box. It was a chunk of time to find this complete package.

PRICE/SHIPPING/RETURNS: Asking just $300 for this cool watch and amazing box. That will include shipping anywhere in the US, and payment via PayPal Goods and Services, with me eating the fees. No returns unless misrepresented.

Thanks all, and big thanks to OF for the space!

Edited Jun 3, 2019
    alam, Rman, Brianstoops and 8 others like this.
  2. Canuck Jun 3, 2019

Mine says hello. The Academy Award series contained a number of different case styles, but (afaik), they all used the same basic case shape, and 21-jewel movement. The bracelet on mine is not original, and the dial has been refinished. Not the blazer that yours is. And that box, WOW! AD612EAF-81D3-4A02-B945-C7F720E69E85.jpeg 8AF76DA7-BB4E-45B1-B514-797F2A404EA9.jpeg

alam, rkman11 and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. rkman11 Jun 4, 2019

Thanks for all the interest, now OHPF!

4. rkman11 Jun 4, 2019

And sold! Going to a great home in the OF fam - thanks all!

alam likes this.