Forums Latest Members
  1. WhereMadnessLies Sep 6, 2018

I recently purchased a 1950s Seamaster Automatic. I believe it to be from around 1955 ~ 1956 as I think these were the crossover years when an automatic was introduced and this case design was used. If this is the case I think it will also have the cal 501 in it. Its keeping great time so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the movement.

IMG_20180906_101010.jpg IMG_20180906_100952.jpg

However, I’m sure the hands a not correct. There is no lume on the dial, but the hour hand has some on. The minute hand doesn’t have any on either, but it is the same shape. Am I correct in assuming that these are not the original hands and if so, where is the best place to pick up a set of the correct ones?

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 6, 2018

Is this the one from the Motorcycle Museum Fair? I think I have handled that watch at a previous event. At the very least the hands have been relumed. If there was lume there originally it would have been radium so wouldn't look mint green like that. I have a gold 501 movement SM from 1956/7. See below:

IMG_1120.jpg

3. WhereMadnessLies Sep 6, 2018

Yes it was from there. From looking at other examples online I think it should have hands like your one (which is very nice btw).

padders likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 6, 2018

Hands look fine, just re-lumed as noted. Although not as common as the dauphin hands alpha hands were also used.

thyr.jpg

WhereMadnessLies likes this.
  5. WhereMadnessLies Sep 6, 2018

Ah interesting thanks. I had come across that image but I was unsure which hands would have applied for the Seamaster.

I've also noticed that while the crown has the correct shape it has the newer Omega logo on it so I'm guessing it would be a service replacement? Sorry for all the questions, I have so much to learn about the watch collecting hobby.