Forums Latest Members

1950's Omega 'Unidentified' purchased in Geneva this weekend

1. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

Hello all,

I went to Geneva last weekend to celebrate my birthday with my wife and after visiting the Patek Philippe Museum (a definite high point!) I found a small independent watch shop a couple of blocks away.

At this point I had no intention of purchase however I found a watch that I was attracted to, it was 1950's Omega and had a description of Calibre 28 with it but no name.

I was taken with the watch and the patina on it and made basically a blind purchase after a brief haggle with the shop owner. I must say that part of the reason I bought it was because of the seller who was a watchmaker, he showed us a watch he had created from scratch told us who he had worked for in the past and was a very pleasant chap in his 70's, obviously still very much into his craft. He had repaired the watch, serviced it and gave it a 1-year 'guarantee'.

The thing is after buying I don't know what it is, I have found other items on the internet very very similar, however, nothing exactly the same. The nearest is a Seamaster with a 12 numeral and no other numbers on the dial. I think that maybe the writing that was on the dial has worn off or been removed. The strap obviously is not original. The only other reference I can find is a 'tresor' version of the watch which looks similar however it is gold.

I may have just bought a Frankensteins' monster, but to be honest I do not mind, firstly because I like the appearance and secondly of where and who I bought it from.

Switzerland is expensive, thus I think I probably overpaid, however, it is a birthday memento. I paid the equivalent of £730.

If anyone could help to identify the watch then this would be much appreciated and settle my own curiosity.

Thank you in advance.

Kev

IMG_20190930_145950.jpg IMG_20190930_150022.jpg IMG_20190930_150049.jpg MVIMG_20190930_150032.jpg
  2. JwRosenthal Sep 30, 2019

Uh oh ::confused2::
    ::popcorn::

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 30, 2019

Polished case; incorrect crown; obvious lacquer issues on the dial, and dial may not be original; gold hands with steel indexes (perhaps they are also gold colored)??

On the positive side, these early snap-back waterproof cases are cool.

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

Thanks Tony, it may be a whoops on my behalf but I suppose I will learn from it. In any case, I still like it ;)

5. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

Tony,

Does it have a model name? The snap back case variant?

Thank you.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 30, 2019

You'd have to open the case and reveal the inside of the case back. It may have a reference number, or only a serial number. In either case, there were no model names for these, only ref. #s after a certain date (roughly into the late '40s and early '50s).

7. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

It will not have a model name, but possibly a reference number inside the case-back.

8. S.H. Sep 30, 2019

I never saw this caseback, they are usually unmarked on the outside with a brushed finish.

Not 100% sure the crown is incorrect.

9. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

Is the watch auto-winding? The case-back says "AUTOMATIC" but the OP mentioned cal 28.

10. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

OK, interesting, thanks chaps.

I wasn't going to but I may pop the back off to see if there is a reference number.

Having done a little more research today I have seen other watches with varnish that has faded and been renewed. Some I have seen change colour completely, therefore this may have originally been a silver dial?

I can see why gold hands were fitted or painted in sympathy now.

This is my first vintage watch so I'm learning!

Thanks

Kev

11. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

Yes, it's an auto. It makes quite a loud noise too when winding.

12. S.H. Sep 30, 2019

Don't think so. The caseback may have a retaining ring, those two part backs are found on early bumpers like the 2421s. It is the dial that may be the problem.

13. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

Yes, I edited my post. I only made that comment because the OP mentioned cal 28, and the dial doesn't indicate automatic.

14. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

I can't knock the time keeping though, it has been excellent for the few days I have had it.

15. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

With bumper automatic movements, it's normal to feel the motion of the weight moving back and forth. But if you hear a lot of clunking, maybe there is a problem with one of the springs. Perhaps you can show it to a friend who is familiar with bumper movements.

16. JwRosenthal Sep 30, 2019

if you are enjoying wearing it, that all that matters. Keep reading the forums and you will learn much about what to look for when Omega shopping.
    One of my first Omega purchases I posted here when I joined, so excited that I got a great score, only to discover it was a redial- a good one, but a redial.
    I still have it and enjoy it, but won’t make that mistake again.

Sidnos, DaveK and Kev T like this.
  17. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

I can hear it move around, but I would not say it 'clunks' as such, luckily! Yes if I get the chance I will one day show it to someone in the know.

18. Kev T Sep 30, 2019

I am happy with it as a first purchase, it may not be perfect but it has a story, priceless as they say.

DaveK likes this.
  19. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 30, 2019

Probably meant 28.10, which would be correct for one of these.

20. Dan S Sep 30, 2019

Right, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

So then the only remaining question is the absence of "AUTOMATIC" on the dial.

BTW, I think the reference may be CK 2421.