Forums Latest Members
  1. MontanaProf Jun 30, 2015

Hi all,

First off some photos:

Omega3.JPG Omega2.JPG Omega4.JPG

This watch came from my great uncle who was the batman to the XO at a Lancaster bomber base in 1942. The watch went to my dad and on to me. I does have the back with the arrow on it, by the way.

I have a few questions for you all:

1) The watch I have came with the Bonclip that can sort of see in one picture. I've been told this is likely original. I was actually thinking of replacing it with what I would consider a more authentic (at least more authentic looking to me) dark leather strap. Thoughts on the authenticity of the Bonclip?

2) The watch has stopped working. It used to work just fine, so I think it might just be the spring. Any suggestions on where I can get this repaired? I understand I can send it to Omega in Switzerland for $1200, but that is just silly.

3) I have absolutely no intention to sell this watch and indeed I want to get it fixed so I can use it regularly. However, what might this be worth?

Many thanks!

noelekal and Giff2577 like this.
  2. marturx Jun 30, 2015

Lovely watch and great story too.

The Bonklip is likely to be original IMO. You can of course exchange it, but store it in a safe place, as it belongs to the watch.

If you had been in Sweden, I would have helped you to fix the watch at my watchmaker, at a small fraction of the cost of sending it to Bienne. I'm sure one or several of our british members can provide advice on where to send it to get it going. I'm pretty sure it's not a big deal. Whatever you do, don't polish the case, and don't exchange any parts unless absolutely necessary.

Good Luck!

Giff2577 likes this.
  3. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Jun 30, 2015

Absolutely great example. Try wearing it in the bonklip, I was hesitant at first, but have really grown to like it.
    Don't send it to Bienne. Im sure we can find a competent repairman for a fraction of the cost. Where are you located?
    The 6bs have been moving steadily higher. With dial in this condition and proper caseback markings, Id say $800.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jun 30, 2015

Really nice example and great that it has stayed in your family!

If you're in the UK, John Senior in Middlestown is very good and specializes in military.

Obsoletewatchandclockparts.com

5. MontanaProf Jun 30, 2015

Thanks all! I live in Montana in the U.S.A.

6. Tom Dick and Harry Jul 8, 2015

A lovely piece, my Grandfather was a Lancaster pilot during the later part of the war and his brother was a Hurricane pilot, they both saw out their entire careers in the RAF. My Grandfather went on to fly most of the early jets up to the Vulcans and then went on to RAF Wittering where he retired as a Wing Commander. His brother Ian test flew a lot of the early jet fighters but retired to desk work after the wick on his Meteor jet went out and the plane ditches in a field, they found him in his chair in a ditch 1/2 a mile away and he was in a coma for a month but pulled through.

My love of Omegas is born from my Grandfathers 1953 Omega Pilot, he had to return his issued Lancaster watch and picked up the 53 when flying after the war. He is now 92, still going strong, still living a completely independent life with my Granny and still driving, he only gave up golf 4 years ago! He makes me very proud and is also the reason I am addicted to Omega watches!

Cheers Tom

7. TexOmega Jul 8, 2015

Dave is great, I've sent both pocket and wrist watches including my brother's key wind PW and have always been please.

He's in Bozeman

http://www.lastwindup.com/

MontanaProf likes this.
  8. michaelmc Jul 8, 2015

Always nice to see a historical and family piece in such nice condition. m

MontanaProf likes this.
  9. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 8, 2015

To continue the semi - hi-jack for a moment
    my father was a navigator in Lancs during the war -and tells a 'hilarious' (in his eyes) story of riding on a 10,000lb bomb across the east Anglian airfield (they had little trains to carry them) and being strafed by marauding German fighter planes -I'm sure him and his mates laughed their way all the way to the whiskey bottle......
    He couldn't keep his watch either -and sadly no longer with us I can't ask him what he had.

any info on whether a navigator would have a different WWII watch to a pilot would be appreciated -and which ones the RAF might have used towards the end of the war?

BTW -this was a guy who was evacuated from industrial Tyneside at the beginning of the war -then, at a very tender 18, shipped to Winnipeg to learn to fly and navigate (navigators had to learn to fly) and then flying in Lancs and getting shot up by the end of it
    -that's got to mess with your head.......

very envious MontanaProf that you have that family heirloom -and in stonkingly good nick (considering where it might have been!)

Philip

MontanaProf likes this.