Forums Latest Members
  1. newtonbb Jan 2, 2022

Thanks in advance for the help.

I own this watch, inherited from my grandfather 10 years ago. His name is engraved on the case back (Robert W. Rogers). This was a one-owner watch, with no known service record but my grandfather did not have much money to support upgrades or modifications. This was a prized possession.

Believe this to be an Omega 2384-8 30T2 SC PC in 30mm from the 40's, but am looking for verification. My grandfather served in WWII as an Army Air Corps Navigator, but this does not have any iteration of the U.S.ARMY stamping, as shown. No signed crown. Possible this was a private acquisition during the era and just coincides with issued pieces?

I cannot easily open the case as there is no typical lip/gap to pry off the case back, and I don't want to scratch it up further. Took it to the local jeweler and he wouldn't touch it as removal is not obvious. I'll take it to a watchmaker in the city, but looking for your expert interpretations here in the mean time. Any concerns with radium from this period? BBM_4761.JPG BBM_4761_cr.jpg BBM_4762.JPG BBM_4765.JPG BBM_4766.JPG BBM_4767.JPG BBM_4768.JPG BBM_4769.JPG

Thanks for all your input.

2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 2, 2022

Looks like your Grandfather had some money invested in that watch. Has a badly repainted dial. And therefore no Radium on dial and hands. Has the typical green Lume from the mid 60's. The rest is speculation. If the case is an Omega case, the Info is inside your case back.

Dan S likes this.
  3. mac_omega Jan 3, 2022

This is not a reference 2384 which should have a screw-down caseback.

What do you mean with "in 30mm" ? Do you mean the diameter of the case? Or do you mean that it contains a movement of 30mm?

If it was the diameter of the case it can´t house a cal. 30 T2 SC PC as the movement has already a diameter of 30 mm itself.
    The info will be found inside, all other statements would be just speculation...

The dial is an old reprint for sure. Other than Achim I would not rule out Radium - depends on the date when the dial had been restored.

Dan S likes this.
  4. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 3, 2022

R17.8 inside. 30mm case diameter. Often found with repainted dial, probably a model with weak original dial laquer.
    The case is quite specific of this period with a monocoque like caseback that fits in an upper case, similar to those later used for some Seamaster Cosmic

5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 3, 2022

Agree with the comments above.
    I seem to remember seeing one like this about a year ago. It was in a PM with someone, possibly @UncleBuck.

Hey Jimbo, do you remember that one?

6. newtonbb Jan 3, 2022

Woke to find a plethora of information here and some serious surprises. Thanks everyone and I'll get the case back opened.
    The case is 30mm - minus crown.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2022

Wasn't me Jim, unless my mind is playing tricks.
    The only discussion I recall concerning a similar watch was someone wanting info regarding naiads and medicus. I'll see if I can find it.

@newtonbb ,you have some of the best experts there are helping you here with watchyouwant, mac-omega, Jiminoz and tire-comedon.
    After carefully getting it opened by a qualified watchmaker, please provide us with clear photos and let these guys help you with Grandpa's legacy.

I'm the village idiot but I do have some R17.8 parts if you need 'em.

I'm partial to stories about Veterans.

Good luck

valery70 and watchyouwant like this.
  8. newtonbb Jan 3, 2022

Thanks and will do. My sister has corrected me on a couple points, one that this wasn't a prized watch, but was his only watch until the late 70's. Stay tuned for watch case photos.

newtonbb

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 3, 2022

Hi, I have, among others in a drawer, a project watch for this ref (I'll probably finalize it when I'm retired and have enough time.......).
    Let me show you how it assembles, mixing pictures of the project (without dial) and of a donnor of the same ref (with its original dial) :
    The case is composed of three parts in which the caliber R17.8 will be placed.
    from above :
    [​IMG]
    and from below
    [​IMG]
    The caliber goes inside the caseback :
    [​IMG]
    and is maintained by the ring :
    [​IMG]
    Then the caseback is closed by the crystal (you may see inside the broken stem -I used the donnor caseback for the next two pictures which exlains why there is no stem tube...) :
    [​IMG]
    then the two parts are assembled :
    [​IMG]
    Of course before inserting the caliber in the caseback, it needs to be fitted with a dial, hands and a broken stem. Here they are (picture of the donnor tat I will, one day, maybe, use to complete this project) :
    [​IMG]

I have noted on a tag a ref 2339 for this model, but I can't remember where I fuond it, so I am not sure it is the right one.

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2022

That is the dial, the OP needs. With that Omega Logo.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2022

Good to see you, Yann (@Tire-comedon , great post!
    I have missed your input and hope that all is well.
    @newtonbb , I am stunned that my favorite pre-war expert has joined us.
    Work is highly over-rated.

mac_omega and Tire-comedon like this.
  12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 3, 2022

Hey, that's a Copy Right Violation ! I claimed the Phrase " Village Idiot " on this Forum first.

JimInOz and UncleBuck like this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2022

Sorry, Achim!
    I thought you had claimed "Village People", my apologies.

index.jpg index.jpg
    Tire-comedon and watchyouwant like this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 4, 2022

Well, my memory is OK for some things but my sense of time is quite out of whack.

:D

It was an identical watch that member @DesignerV was researching for one of his mates, he may have some pics to add to this thread.