Forums Latest Members
  1. bigsom Aug 11, 2016

Hello everyone! I hope you guys don't mind another opinion thread?

I think this one might be original. The omega text appears very sharp and the markers have some wear with a creamy dial patina. What do you guys think? Your expertise and tutelage is hugely appreciated. Learning much these past weeks.

[​IMG]

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 11, 2016

Not original. They actually painted over top of the gold markers ::facepalm2::

Syrte and bigsom like this.
  3. bigsom Aug 11, 2016

I'm so terrible at this. I worry I may never be able to tell! Thank you for your help, it's very appreciated.

4. Vitezi Aug 11, 2016

Don't fret. You'll develop an eye over time, but it does take patience. Start at page one of the WRUW thread and by the time you get to the end, you'll have a good idea of what to look for. If you're worried about paying the noob tax, research a marque that carries less of a premium. There's nothing wrong with training your vintage eye on Mido, Certina, Eterna, Tissot, Gruen, Hamilton, and many others.

bigsom likes this.
  5. westmtn Aug 11, 2016

I second this. Also read every sticky in the vintage omega forum. It took some time but I finally acquired an eye for it. The golden rule is that if you're not convinced it's original then it's probably a redial. Of course there are extremely well preserved exceptions. Look for inconsistencies in the paint? Signs of age? Period correct font and logo? I'll grant you the 1940s are probably the hardest, at least for me. I just assume 95% of the 30T2 watches are redials.

bigsom likes this.
  6. bigsom Aug 11, 2016

Thank you for the advice and encouragement!