Forums Latest Members
  1. deni2s Jan 2, 2019

Hi, all!

I am new to watches (especially vintage), but after missing very nice B6/129 Longines on ebay for good price, just because I decided to delay decision till morning I jumped on this Omega, just to gain some experience for cheap and my gut feeling was that it might be not a bad deal (I have more experience in buying rare car tuning parts on ebay). So bought it first and started to google what it is after ;).

Bad news - price looked like what could be normal ebay price for Frankenstein watch, photos are blurry, description seemed incorrect.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-VINTAGE-OMEGA-23-4SC-T1-SWISS-GENTS-WATCH-MILITARY-15-JEWELS-BOYS-SIZE-165/362514875781?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

s-l500.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg

Looks like seller has good reputation on ebay, but looking at other his items, looks like he is not really into vintage watches, but antiques in general, so that might be excuse for blurry photos and wrong description (yeah I know - hopeful thinking).

So this is what I think about this watch (haven't received it yet), please let me know if I am wrong:

Looks like Omega Naiad, serial number suggests it is produced in 1939.
    Dial looks original to me (which is the most important part of any vintage watch), patinated more or less evenly.
    Case looks like original, caseback matches (numbers on lugs match). Writings on case (Modele + Depose) suggests it's a watch for French market, also 24.3SC caliber has matching "M" engraving/stamp and probably period correct (but maybe not watch correct) metallic bracelet is made in France. Crown looks original to me.

Minute and hour H&M hands look fine, seconds hand IMHO might be replacement from different ref. Naiad, as I couldn't find any pictures on internet with seconds hand like this together with H&M hands. Also seconds friction spring looks hand made (according to https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/4020_Omega 230 .pdf original part number is 230-1255).

So some questions to vintage Omegas gurus here:
    1) Is my assessment correct so far (I understand it's hard to judge just by blurry photos and in reality I might get something else)?
    2) Suggestions on what to do with seconds hand? Leave it as it is or look for proper replacement? Maybe someone might be interested in exchange?
    3) Suggestions on what to do with seconds friction spring? Leave it as it is, try to replace with exact original part (not sure where to look for it), try to replace with other Omega part, which might fit?
    4) What do you think about the metallic bracelet? I think Naiads usually originally would be with black cow skin strap, but could it be that french dealer sold the watch with that bracelet?
    5) Is it worth getting the extract from Omega archives? Does that increase future value of this watch?
    6) What about servicing - what are some average prices I might expect for that and how that increases the value of the watch?

Not sure if I will keep this watch forever, so if anyone is interested in it, feel free to message, I might be interested in exchanges too.

Feel free to drop any comments regarding this watch, as I am new to all exiting this stuff.

2. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 2, 2019

Nice 23.4SC. Bad news however, the dial looks repainted in my humble opinion. The Omega logo is not right for this period.

3. deni2s Jan 2, 2019

I just got the watch. First impression - it's too small :D Maybe that's because of bracelet too, which looks like 15mm, instead of 16mm, looks more like ladies watch IMHO. Any suggestions about the strap? Now I understand why the photos were so blurry - it's hard to take a macro pictures.

Can you please explain the differences? Endings should be more thicker? Actually I can't find any imperfections on printed parts of dial (which is also suspicious). The dial itself has some even bubbling over it (visible in photos). Numbers do look very fine and precise, I even can see through magnifier lens writing "swiss made", there are minutes markings, but I can't see the "railroad" or remains of it at all (I was expecting it to be faded maybe).

What do you think about the seconds hand? When I look at it, it actually doesn't look out of place. Blue color looks the same as on hours/minutes hands and length seems legit. But then again hours/minutes hand could be replacements too?

IMG_7081.jpg
  4. tdn-dk Jan 2, 2019

Hi!

I have this Naiad cal. 23.4, you can se the logo is quite different.

IMG_6338.JPG

5. deni2s Jan 2, 2019

Yes, totally different shape. Thanks!

Anyway, can still someone answer other questions from first post? Still interested in those.

P.S. Just ordered black leather bund strap for the watch, to make it look visually bigger on the wrist. It was quite challenging to find anything for just 30mm diameter watch with 16mm lugs, but I found this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DMEA6AU . Just in case someone else is looking something similar.

6. deni2s Jan 8, 2019

7. Tiketitan76 Jan 9, 2019

Maybe best solution is to pay omega for the research just giving them serial number ....its such a mistery...

8. Tiketitan76 Jan 9, 2019

Very nice

9. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

Do they offer more info, than just in example bellow? As it doesn't look very detailed...
    [​IMG]

10. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

Ordered seconds friction spring on ebay from France. Part is from different watch, but looked very similar to what should be originally, but it's not so easy to find. Replacement part I got is - Valjoux R 22 222 225 71 8290 ressort friction spring. Decided that replacing DIY made friction spring shouldn't be a rocket science. Well, it took around an hour (including looking for small parts on the floor). Come to conclusion that servicing the watch myself probably wouldn't be the best idea ;)

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    IMG_5348.jpg

Turned out not so bad.

P.S. Wondering if I am missing those 2 fitting screws on the sides, or that's how it's supposed to be originally?

11. ConElPueblo Jan 9, 2019

The two case screws are for cases without the movement holder yours have.

deni2s likes this.
  12. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

Thanks, good to know!

13. Tiketitan76 Jan 9, 2019

Did you receive this information directly from Omega. I have a watch that seems a Naiad and was a gift of my grandfather il 1940.

14. Tiketitan76 Jan 9, 2019

20181101_183619.jpg 20181101_211214.jpg
  15. deni2s Jan 9, 2019

Edited Jan 9, 2019
    Tiketitan76 likes this.
  16. deni2s Jan 12, 2019

Got the ordered bund strap from https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DMEA6AU . It actually can be used without the bund as regular strap too. IMHO now the watch looks a bit bigger, more masculine and much better on the hand than with original metal bracelet.

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg

Not sure what to do with period correct metal bracelet I got with the watch. Should I keep it together with watch for potential future owners? Maybe sell separately? Does it have any value?

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 12, 2019

The "bamboo" or "Bonklip" style bracelets were the forerunner to the fixoflex/Spiedel stretchy bracelets and unless they are actual Bonklips or Krementz (and maybe Gay Freres or Forstner) then they are worth very little at all.

18. bubba48 Jan 12, 2019

19. deni2s Feb 9, 2019

Was browsing the internet and noticed similar dial as my watch has:

s-l1600.jpg
    This is dial on my watch:
    [​IMG]

The fonts look exact the same to my untrained eye, also dial size might be the same. Dial is signed by Lemrich Suisse 6 22 and diameter is 22,6mm.
    s-l1600 (1).jpg

My dial looks more patinated (which I actually quite like). Any thoughts and comments about the thought of buying this dial to replace more patinated with this? How would that affect the value of the watch?

20. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Feb 9, 2019

It would not affect very much the value of the watch since both are repainted / not period correct, I think.

deni2s and mac_omega like this.