Forums Latest Members
  1. NT931 Mar 2, 2013

Hi everyone,

I posted a picture of my 1st vintage Omega in a previous thread, and I thought that it was a redial.

There was then some discussion whether it was a redial or not, but no one could be certain given the low-res photo I had taken. Erich had helpfully suggested a high-res photo of the dial with the crystal removed.

Unfortunately, I've not been skilled or brave enough to remove the crystal :( (lingering fears that I'd completely mess up this watch!). I have tried to take some close-up pictures with a macro setting, but my camera is a small Canon point-and-shoot, so the results aren't all that hot still. Nonetheless, I'm giving it a shot.

I kept getting reflections from the crystal, so I've taken 2 pictures, one showing the left side of the dial (reflections on the right), and the other one showing the right side (with some reflection on the left). Hopefully, piecing together the 2 photos, one can get some idea of the dial... apologies though if the pics are still crappy! (I need to take watch photography lessons)

My own feeling is that this is a redial, albeit one from maybe 10-20 years ago, as there is some spotting. The 'A' of the OMEGA has a horizontal bar that slants upwards slightly from left to right, not sure if Omega would've had such dials leave their factory, so I'm guessing this indicates a re-dial. (In contrast, Kyle's T17 has a nicely done 'OMEGA'.)

So is it a redial? Opinions most welcome, thanks!

IMG_3148a.jpg IMG_3149a.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 2, 2013

I vote original. Yes, it isn't perfect, but remember that this was made in the mid 1930's and while quality control was good, it wasn't perfect.

If this is a recent redial, I'd like to know who did the work so I can send them some of mine.
    gatorcpa

3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 2, 2013

Not sure. i do not like the O in Omega. Apart from that it`s well done. If that re-paint comes from the UK, I'd say it was done by Mr. Soni. kind regards. Achim

4. mac_omega Mar 3, 2013

I still think it is original - the "O" is a bit out of range but would have a logic explanation: The "O" might have been faded like the "E" or partly erased and was retouched.
    The rest of the dial cries "original" to me and I have seen quite a few of these early beasts...
    just my thoughts
    erich

5. NT931 Mar 5, 2013

Thanks everyone!