Forums Latest Members
  1. Gordon Heavyfoot Mar 21, 2017

Hello guys. Wondering if I can get some analysis of this watch. I'm beginning to educate myself on early-era Omegas. I enjoy the look of this one. Couple of questions if you'll indulge me. Is this an original dial? The markings on the dial aren't quite as crisp as they would be on a watch of a later era, not sure if this is generally accepted as kosher. The subdial markings look fairly precise to me. The font used for the Omega text on the dial...is this period correct or is it a font found on earlier examples? Should "Swiss Made" be present? The movement looks to be in good condition, visually. Any input greatly appreciated by the early-Omega gurus. Thanks!

$_3 (6).JPG $_3 (5).JPG $_3 (7).JPG $_3 (8).JPG $_3 (9).JPG
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2017

I'm still learning about early Omegas but here's my thoughts.

Original English Dennison case and I think original crown.
    Dial looks to be original with the slightly italic font.
    Leaf style main hands look OK except for the truncated hour hand.
    Caliber 26.5 T3 dating to about 1935 to 1940.

The real experts, @Tire-comedon or @François Pépin may be able to comment further.

3. François Pépin Mar 22, 2017

Jim said it all!

Except that it is likely a 26,5 T2. The T3 was only produced since 1940 and should have a monometallic balance - but that is not always the case in actual watches because mono and bimetallic balances are interchangeable (with the correct hairspring) and could have been switched at some point during a service.

By the way, the 26,5 is s nice caliber which most often comes in nice watches. I kind of love them! But parts are not easy to source... For instance, most often, you can only find monometallic balanced for the PC (with shoc protection) T3 (also called caliber 100), and sourcing a new bimetallic balance complete is almost impossible.

Vitezi, Gordon Heavyfoot and JimInOz like this.