Forums Latest Members
  1. DSG85 Apr 11, 2018

I'm trying to educate myself on vintage Omegas. I found this on ebay. Please tell how far off I am on my assesment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Museum-Tim...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The crown looks wrong. I don't think the naiads had signed crowns. The hands and dial look correct. I'm guessing the crystal was probably replaced at some point. It looks too pristine compared to the rest of the watch to me. The movement has lots of scratches and is missing one of the screws that holds it in the case, but otherwise it looks to be in okay shape and to be the correct movement.

I'm not sure how to verify what the reference number is for Omegas this old, but if 2064 is the correct reference number, the picture in the omega data base does look correct: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-naiad-medicus-ck-2064

Best I can tell these are going for about $350 to $600 depending on condition. I would think this one would be on the lower end of that range, maybe $350 to $400, but I'm not sure what is considered "good condition" for a watch of this age.

I'm trying to learn more than anything else. I doubt I will make an offer on it. I'm just try to use it as an example for myself and others to gain some insight.

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 11, 2018

I think you’ve assessed it correctly.

Crown is a modern replacement and is probably not waterproof (not that the original would be at 80 years old).

Price is high retail.
    gatorcpa

Tire-comedon and jimmyd13 like this.
  3. sat968 Apr 11, 2018

I just want to say, thank you for taking the time to evaluate the watch and then posting your observations and questions. Things would go very smoothly around here if your style was followed more often.

thatonewatchdude and efauser like this.
  4. jimmyd13 Apr 11, 2018

You've picked up the major points and I don't see much more at a quick glance. What I would add is about the dial: this, to me, is damaged. The difference between patina and damage is subjective but where a dial has worn unevenly, as this one has, I call damage over patina. The question that you always have to then ask is: Do I find it attractive?

Regards your question about what counts as "good" or "Running" as opposed to "collector" grade: the last, "collector" speaks for itself. This is a rare watch that is all original and pristine. Always expect to pay a premium for these watches and don't confuse them with a watch that has been very well restored.

The difference between a runner and a good example is something that is dependant on other factors, most importantly rarity. If there were only a few hundred produced then I'd argue that any original example is "good" . Couple rarity with desirability and that's when your wallet starts to complain.

If I really wanted this reference and if I could convince myself the dial was acceptable, I wouldn't argue too much with the price. On the other hand, if I thought I would see a better example over the coming months, I'd pass. Not following the sales of these, I can't be sure which way to suggest. One thing I will say is that I note the watch is from South America.. make sure you do your due diligence

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. OMTOM Apr 11, 2018

In one word, 'DIAL'.
    I agree with the points above. I think the seller's description is fair and honest: you see what you get. I have bought from this seller successfully.
    The other points are valid (crown etc) - but primarily it's DIAL.

6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 11, 2018

On this model, it was not the crown but a cork seal Inside the stem tube that ensured waterproofness (when water gets in, it expands and seals the tube). Surprisingly it was still in place on many I saw, but probably not ensuring watertightness anymore.

It is a 2064 but the dial is too damaged in my opinion and you can find a better preserved one for less.

7. bubba48 Apr 11, 2018

My Naiad from 1938 for comparison (not for sale)

omega 2064 '38 (2).jpg

omega 2064 '38 (5).jpg

omega 2064 '38 (6).jpg

GregH, heavenscloud, COYI and 4 others like this.
  8. chipsotoole Apr 12, 2018

Have a look at this one;

ebay item number:

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 12, 2018

10. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 13, 2018

11. 3voluption May 14, 2018

Hi DSG85,

Nice one. I actually own a similar one with a 3 steps bezel and the crown is different. I'm trying to find more information about my model since i cannot find any picture on the internet with the 3 steps bezel :)

OMEGA.JPG
    Syrte, Vitezi, Tire-comedon and 3 others like this.
  12. Tire-comedon First Globemaster May 14, 2018

Hi,
    Not a similar one. Yours isn't from the Naiad series, which were the waterproof watches of Omega in the late 30's and early 40's, but appears to be a ref CK 650.
    Mine (with incorrect seconds hand but correct H&M hands and crown) says hello :
    [​IMG]

And here in a period advertising (credit Internet) :
    [​IMG]

13. 3voluption May 15, 2018

Bonjour / Hello,

Glad to read your post! And thanks a lot for the vintage ad.
    I've taken a few more pictures, which you'll find below, featuring the back and the crown. I've been wondering if the crown had been changed in the past or if it's original. Maybe you'll have an idea?

I just got this timepiece from my grandfather, who got it as a gift back when he was 12yo. Fascinating :)

OMEG1.JPG OMEG2.JPG
    Syrte likes this.
  14. Tire-comedon First Globemaster May 15, 2018

Crown doesn’t look original to me, it should be flat like on my picture and on the ad.

15. 3voluption May 16, 2018

Thanks for your feedback++

16. AndreasSwiss Dec 27, 2018

what do you say to this one here?

45CB99E6-B06F-44E5-895F-7FBEDBB85C6A.jpeg
    gatorcpa likes this.
  17. jumpingsecond Dec 27, 2018

looks good to me. Love the shy 10 :cool:

AndreasSwiss likes this.