1915 Trench watch timekeeping problems

I have started wearing my grandfather’s trench watch. Sometimes it keeps time perfectly, but then sometimes it just stops. I’ve tried leaving it so that it must have completely wound down, but then it only takes about three turns (clockwise!) before i meet resistance. We did have it serviced a while ago, but it hasn’t been worn since then as we were looking for the correct regimental watch strap. Any thoughts?

I have started wearing my grandfather’s trench watch. Sometimes it keeps time perfectly, but then sometimes it just stops. I’ve tried leaving it so that it must have completely wound down, but then it only takes about three turns (clockwise!) before i meet resistance. We did have it serviced a while ago, but it hasn’t been worn since then as we were looking for the correct regimental watch strap. Any thoughts?

Well, first off, it would have been courteous if you’d introduced yourself, told us what you know about the watch, perhaps letting is know if and when it was actually last serviced, the make of the watch with perhaps a few photos of the face, the case and the movement.

Given that it was serviced at some stage, it would be interesting to know if you’d been back to the watchmaker about the problem and if not, why not.

There’s a fair number of OF members who are either watchmakers or experienced amateurs but, as far as I know, none of them are telepathic.

I’m sure someone can help but you might want to start afresh.

Like 2
Oh, and no ideas about the correct regimental watch strap. Which regiment or unit was your grandfather in?

Welcome @Jasw

Some pics of the watch would be helpful (many of us get bored easily if there aren’t pictures) and more details as mentioned above.

If it’s been more than 5+ years since it’s been worn or serviced- then the oils have probably dried out. Watches of this era were not water or air tight so they need a bit more service than newer watches that are in sealed cases. I have a few trench watches that have been serviced but after years of sitting they just don’t run reliably- so they will eventually go back for service if I decide I want them in regular rotation.

As for straps- the regimentals weren’t until later as far as I know. Anything WWI would most likely have been on plain black cloth (there was a name for the weave of the cloth but I can’t recall at the moment), leather or a metal coil style bracelet (some made of sterling). Few were issued by the military (usually to just signal corps or officers as far as I know) and many that were acquired by servicemen was done with their own money from jewelers.
This is a great resource for an education on trench watches and straps

https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/

Like 1
As @JwRosenthal said…They are not the most robust devices. Also no anti shock so one must be careful. That said, they are easily serviced by competent watchmakers, especially those who do pocket watches. +1 on Vintage watch straps. Great product and a huge info resource. Lets see some pics.

Like 1