1908 Military Omega Cal 19"

Hello Everyone.

I would appreciate any comments on this "Military" Omega pocket watch I have just bought. The serial number (3853551) appears to date the watch to 1908.

The watch has been fully serviced and is accurate to about +/- 1 minute per 24 hours.

I believe it is a CAL 19" / 15 jewel movement and on the back of the case (sold nickel) it has the British military War Department WᗑD markings.

I was just curious though if perhaps the case may have been changed at some point as it does not have an Omega marking or the Grand Prix 1900 illustration that a lot of 1908 Omega watches seem to have ... although possibly if issued for military use it would not have them or they were fitted with generic cases???

I think its a lovely watch although I would really appreciate your thoughts on the case. Thank you.

omega1.jpg

omega2.jpg

omega3.jpg
omega4.jpg
omega5.jpg
omega6.jpg
omega7.jpg
omega8.jpg

When I see a dial like that I always assume it's a redial

When I see a dial like that I always assume it's a redial

Thanks for replying. Is a redial bad? The dial does have a hairline crack going from the 4 to the sunken seconds sub- dial.

A redial is considered bad as most collectors don't collect redials

I'm not an expert though, someone more experienced can make a more definite comment, but logically it's a redial too as the condition is just too good for 100+ years

Not really an issue if you're just going to enjoy the watch as a watch

I'm no Omega expert but I believe it is a 19 ligne, though it's certainly not a 15 jewel movement.

It's not a redial. The dial is vitreous enamel, they hold up exceptionally well as long a they aren't roughly handled. Here is one of mine made in 1883.

Very nice example.
It's possible that the British War Department ordered some watches (movements) from the local Omega agent and had them cased in a material more suited to the intended environment. Doesn't explain the Omega style case serial though.
In that era, it wasn't unusual to buy a watch movement and select a case to match it, although this practice was more widely seen in North America.

Thankyou for all the replies, it is great to learn more about the watch. I have pocket watches from the 1870s onwards but this in my first Omega pocket watch. 😀
Edited:

That's superb thank you, so is it still a watch made in 1908? 6 years seems a long time for it to be in storage until it was issue by the War Department circa 1914?

That's superb thank you, so is it still a watch made in 1908? 6 years seems a long time for it to be in storage until it was issue by the War Department circa 1914?

The movement serial number says 1911/12 IMO

The movement serial number says 1911/12 IMO

Thanks, that would make much more sense. I was going off a site that dates by the serial number. I am even more delighted that I have ended up with a WW1 Omega pocket watch. 😀