19.73N Cronometro Medical

Hi all,

Wanted to share a new acquisition (and my first pocket chronograph). Caliber 19.73N, case serial dates to ~1909, sold in Argentina, where the eBay seller was located. Has an interesting engraving from later in its life (1952) when it was presumably gifted.

The dial is perfect and the watch appears (at least to me) to be all-original, although a rough, almost “brushed” finish on the silver case makes me think someone used something overly abrasive to remove prior oxidation. Would other OF members consider a *VERY* light polish to reduce the appearance of the scratching, or leave as is?

Also curious if anyone has any additional history on the 19.73 movement (interesting that no mvmt serial is visible, I’m guessing it’s on the dial side) or “Cronometro Medical” models in general.

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend!

Wonderful watch, thanks for sharing these photos. It is always neat when printing on the dial matches markings on the case or movement. The engine-turned case is lovely, as is the enamel dial. I would probably leave the case as-is.

Thanks all! Appreciate the kind words & advice on the case - I’ll leave it as-is.

Hi,
Have you sent pics and serial number to Longines ? They should have a more precise dating/history.
The "PD" monogram just over the serial number is for Perusset & Didisheim, a Buenos Aires Longines retailer. Note the "cronómetro" instead of "cronógrafo", meaning this watch might have been submitted to swiss chronometer testings (Longines should be able to confirm). There was a big craze in the south american market of early 20th century for high grade chronometers (like the PP Gondolo or VC Royal). I also have a "cronometro" from this era and retailer :

I did suspect the “PD” was an older stamp for Perusset & Didisheim, based on a later example I found in the first Goldberger book. It had not crossed my mind, however, that this might be a certified chronometer, but I am now eager to find out! Even though the watch is long overdue for a service, the timekeeping is pretty incredible.

Appreciate the additional info, I’ll post whatever Longines can share with me once I hear back!

To close the loop, Longines cannot confirm that this example was Chronometer tested, but their records align nicely with my example. A mystery for another day!

Nice,
Not all 1910s Longines chronometers were tested by official agencies, some were tested internally as can attest this brochure (gangschein der fabrik, certificate from factory in german). My own "cronometro" was on the other way sent to Neuchâtel observatory competition.

Nice,
Not all 1910s Longines chronometers were tested by official agencies, some were tested internally as can attest this brochure (gangschein der fabrik, certificate from factory in german). My own "cronometro" was on the other way sent to Neuchâtel observatory competition.
Super cool! Do you have pics of yours you can share?

It’s great to see new discoveries emerging…

Super cool! Do you have pics of yours you can share?

Yes I do ! Here it is, submitted in 1913 to Neuchatel for first class pocket chronometer testings (note the Guillaume balance), then sold to Perusset in 1914. Sadly the gold case was lost (according to Longines Perusset made the cases themselves in Argentina under license), and it needs a deep service.

Yes I do ! Here it is, submitted in 1913 to Neuchatel for first class pocket chronometer testings (note the Guillaume balance), then sold to Perusset in 1914. Sadly the gold case was lost (according to Longines Perusset made the cases themselves in Argentina under license), and it needs a deep service.

Lovely nonetheless - love the regulator design.

This was obviously a very much loved and cared for watch. Absolutely stunning.

This was obviously a very much loved and cared for watch. Absolutely stunning.
thank you! Very happy to be its caretaker awhile.