Forums Latest Members

18K YG Omega Seamaster with two tone dial - refinished?

1. waterproofpt Jan 25, 2016

I saw this in a shop today and the customer service person wasn't able to tell me what the reference was or anything else about the watch other than it is apparently from 1952. I've been on the lookout for a two tone dial and this strikes a chord for me. I'll have to go back when the watchmaker is in to get the details and some additional photos. In the meantime, any feedback would be welcome on at least the dial and what is visible in this shot through the display case glass.

[​IMG]

2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 25, 2016

I'm no expert, and it may be down to the photo, but it seems to me that the minute markers on the top right of the dial protrude into the lighter area, whereas those at the bottom don't. I`m also not sure what the squares are - old lume??

If you are going back, take a loupe!

However, if others who have more experience chip in, you may not need to go back.....

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 25, 2016

The style of the dial looks correct to me.

However, the picture is not detailed enough to give a good answer as to whether it is original or not.
    gatorcpa

4. waterproofpt Jan 25, 2016

Thanks. From the sounds of it, it's worth a return visit at least. Must say the pics don't do it justice from what I saw. But I'll go back and find out more .... And get better pics.

5. Spike Jan 26, 2016

Mine is very similar as far as the dial layout is concerned......might just be the picture angle but is 'swiss made' too high in relation to the 6 marker in the OP's pic?

ROSIE2.JPG

6. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 26, 2016

Case looks like "custom made"? Not a Seamaster case.

7. DON Jan 26, 2016

Looks refinished. Minute markers appear to be slightly over the edge from 12 - 6

Also. Second hand not correct (too long) and crown is most likely modern plated rather than old gold filled

DON

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

I agree. My guess is that dial and movement are probably OK, but not an Omega case and wrong crown.

Unless the dial is needed for another project, this looks like another pass.
    gatorcpa

9. waterproofpt Jan 26, 2016

Appreciate the comments. The dial did look great in person, but closeup photos do tell the truth it seems. And your comments about the case in particular are enough to bring doubt. When I looked at it yesterday, the first thing that made me wonder was the case, especially the crown and the "cutout' for the crown. Just looked wrong.

For my own learning and to simply get more details I'll try to get case reference and movement details.

@Spike Nice ! What is the case reference and cal for yours?

Closest I could find at this point is a cal 354 case ref 2577- SC17 gold capped rather than the solid 18K stated for the one in my OP

[​IMG]

10. Spike Jan 26, 2016

Mine's dates from 1951, case reference 2577-9.

It's a Cal 351 (bumper), rose gold capped.

It hasn't seen the light of day for over a year or more, seems a shame to keep it locked away............maybe I ought to think about selling it sometime:)

11. tdn-dk Jan 26, 2016

I have a 14k. that looks like that case and it is an Omega :)

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG

tamura and waterproofpt like this.
  12. waterproofpt Jan 26, 2016

Your impressions are correct. Although I didn't get the case number or movement number I did get confirmation that it is a franked watch. Not the original case or crown as stated. Nice dial though. Apparently original.

13. waterproofpt Jan 26, 2016

I should clarify. The case apparently is not a signed Omega.

14. Spike Jan 26, 2016

Just out of interest, what were they asking price wise on that?

15. waterproofpt Jan 26, 2016

Waaaay out of line IMO at $1900 USD.