18k Constellation C Shape

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy this c shape and I have a few questions regarding the moment.

i can’t help but notice that the centre part (twenty four jewels) looks a little off to me, do you think this has been replaced?

also, I am unsure about the configuration and the fact it’s 18k, is this all legit?

the buyer is looking for £1950, do you guys think that’s reasonable?

I think the variation in colour between the winding rotor, the winding works bridge, & the train bridge are just an effect of different part lots going through the plating process at different times & in different batches.

Have noticed the same variation in other movements.

Yes the bridge has been replaced. Should be marked ADJUSTED FIVE (5) POSITIONS AND TEMPERATURE.

054C7044-9BB0-4E3B-8EE2-EAEC44A95AD4.jpeg

i can’t help but notice that the centre part (twenty four jewels) looks a little off to me, do you think this has been replaced?
It has been replaced by a bridge for non-chronometer versions of this movement (cal. 552, 562, cal. 565 or cal. 752). I think all of those are interchangeable.

Years ago, you could get replacements with the chronometer language (cal. 551, cal. 561 or cal. 751) from parts suppliers. Sadly, these are no longer available for purchase by the general public. Not even sure if @Archer could get one from Omega as part of a repair.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Do you think the jewels are missing from the bridge?

also do you think this is a good buy? I can replace the crown (I’m not bothered by that so much) however the overall condition doesn’t seem too bad?

Pictures are very out of focus. I cannot see any details on the dial. Could be deliberate to hide flaws. Jewels look OK to me, but again, pictures are not in focus.

What concerns me more is that I do not see any gold hallmarks on the back of the lugs and there are no pictures of the caseback.

£1950 for a solid 18K gold case is pretty good, despite the replacement bridge and crown. The same price for a gold capped case is absurd.

You need more information from the seller.
gatorcpa

Here is my verdict:

1. £1950 is US$2,500. With gold at over $2,300 per ounce, that is not terrible.

2. Pictures are better than before, still not clear. Dial is textured and looks original. I like that.

3. Unless watch was serviced with paperwork, assume you will need to spend £250 at least for a good service and there may need to be work done to rotor bushings for extra £££.

4. Crown will cost at least £50 if you can find one.

5. You still have a frankenwatch, at least with respect to the bridge.

Overall, I would pass on this one. You'll need to put too much into it to make it right.
gatorcpa