Forums Latest Members
  1. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

Hello everyone. Please excuse this being my first ever post but I am in need of some help. I am an Omega lover and currently own a SMP 2531.8 and a couple of days ago was gifted a vintage Omega Constellation from my father. The watch is a 18k and I have done some research online but I was hoping that the pros here would help me. I am a user on watchfreeks.com and watchuseek.com

Anyhow, I have not taken the caseback off and have not cleaned it or taken it to an appraiser or jeweler but the watch seems to work flawlessly and keep great time. My father says that the band is original and the clasp does say 18k on it as well.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated, enjoy some pics!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2012

I've moved this post to its own thread and added a title, there are a few C-Case Constellation fans on here that love those

3. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

Much appreciated! This will work well...I am looking forward to everyone's feedback.

4. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

BTW - since I am learning the vintage models...what is a "C-Case"

I assume it is what I have, but what is the differentiating factor. Thanks again.

5. ulackfocus Aug 21, 2012

C-case is what we call them because it looks like two C's facing each other. Have that watch cleaned up and serviced by a professional watchmaker. It's a great heariloom. :thumbsup:

It's a correct & authentic 168.017 with a caliber 751 inside (the day/date version of the 564). These were made from the mid 60's into the early 70's, most in the late 60's. That's what we refer to as the knurled bezel model.

6. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for your reply! I sincerely appreciate it. Can you tell me if the bracelet is also original on this timepiece? I am definitely going to get it serviced and cleaned up.

Golden question, however - how much is a watch like this worth? The reason I ask is because I may be looking to sell it and put some more money down for a Omega PO, Breilting or a Rolex instead since I am not into the vintage look as much and knowing myself, if I don't love it, I wont wear it and I think a collector would love this watch more than I would and wear it more often!

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 21, 2012

The lug width on this is 19mm IIRC so if the bracelet fits snugly it was original fitment, as 19mm is not a common size.

8. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

The braclet fits real well and moves well also. Seems to have original spring bars as well..

9. ulackfocus Aug 21, 2012

The watch head is probably worth $1500+ as it is, and once cleaned up and serviced up to $2000. BTW, the dial is solid gold to as told by the OM on either side of the SWISS MADE.

Can't tell you what the bracelet is worth or if it's original without seeing more of it. It might be an aftermarket one. It's still got a good amount of gold. Even if it's very thin it must be at least $1400 worth and could be well over $2000 in scrap value alone if it's 18ct.

10. eder10986 Aug 21, 2012

Awesome thanks guys for your info thus far. I really appreciate it. Any more info would be appreciated as well. As it stands, I will service the movement and get it all cleaned up. You may see this bad boy pop up in the for sale section sometime in the very near future as I honestly do not see myself wearing it although I am a die hard Omega lover

11. eder10986 Aug 22, 2012

Update - I don't think the bracelet is original because it seems to be stamped with 18k and it looks like it says "Mexico". FYI - the watch did come from Mexico as that's where my father lived.

If this is sold, do you suggest I sell them separately and scrap the bracelet for gold, or try to sell them together once cleaned and serviced.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

I'd sell together, the 19mm bracelet is not a common fitment and it's a nice package, do you have box and papers at all?

13. eder10986 Aug 22, 2012

Unfortunately I do not. I do have an extra Omega box I can sell with this watch after it gets cleaned up. As it relates to papers, I have nothing. Additionally, correct me if I am wrong, but its pretty easy to tell whether these watches are authentic or not, which is nice. I am also contemplating whether to get it serviced or not. I have called a few places and have gotten quotes ranging from $250-$400 and if servicing will only add $500 to the value of it, give or take, I wonder if its really worth it or not?

I can clean it up myself...but I do not intend to polish it or shave any of the case down as it will take away from its value and the patina and few surface scratches truly add character to this watches' life.

Thanks for the help fellas!

14. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Aug 22, 2012

Personally I would just sell the bracelet and keep the head (if the bracelet isn't Omega). I think you're better leaving it alone and selling it as is. It doesn't look like it's in need of too much cosmetic work, so if the day/date changes well and it keeps decent time it might not need much done to the movement.

15. eder10986 Aug 27, 2012

Hey guys. I was able to get the caseback opened to confirm its authenticity. Please see the pictures below.

Now that we have all of the information I have a couple of questions.

What is the head worth? I have made a decision and will be selling it to purchase a more modern watch that I can wear daily.

I am planning on selling the bracelet for its value in gold as its 18k, however, I have no experience and do not want to be ripped off. Where does one go to sell gold legitimately, and how much is gold going for these days?

Thanks guys, you are all awesome. See the pics below now :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 27, 2012

Yeap that's 100% real

IMO don't sell it as scrap, its a fine bracelet and you'll get more than melt value (albiet only a little) selling it on ebay

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 27, 2012

Oooh...that gasket has got to be cleaned up. What a mess! :p

Everything looks OK to me except for that,
    gatorcpa

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 27, 2012

Yea, that gasket was a rubber O-ring at one point in its life lol its not meant to look like a moat of liquid snot