Forums Latest Members
  1. strick9 Feb 20, 2018

had this repaired its been in the family since new my great great grandmother got it new, the guy that did the work used new screws in it and completely replaced the movement. I don't consider that a repair besides it shuts down.
    this guy came highly recommended all I can say is I think he ruined opinions please I want the original movement back and if you're going to charge as much as he did it should work. sorry for this piss poor picture

DSC_1067old.jpg
    Vitezi likes this.
  2. BenBagbag Feb 20, 2018

Why don't you give us a picture of his work? How can we judge what he did without a movement shot?

Either way, lesson learned is always discuss what work will be done on any timepiece before you hand it over.

3. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Feb 20, 2018

If you can figure out the maker it should be possible to hunt down a doner clock to provide a suitable movement. It looks American and if you're lucky they may be a makers label inside the clock or on the back. It may not be easy to find another exactly like it, but movements were common through many styles of clocks, so look for a similar clock by that maker. Perhaps one can be found through the NAWCC or heaven forbid the dreaded ebay. It shouldn't be outrageously expensive as clocks like this were made by the zillion and a lot still survive.

If you can't find a maker's name, search the web and ebay for images of American kitchen alarm clocks, you may be able to match it that way.

I paid $40 for the last one I bought and tinkered with and its been running fine for about five years now... the alarm even works!

4. strick9 Feb 20, 2018

Not going to break a screw loose till he makes good on the repair I'll try to get some of it from under And we did discuss before hand but lets just
    i'm not happy

5. river rat Feb 20, 2018

A good clockmaker will give a price estimate and what will be done before they do the work. But I guess yours did not do that. Clockmakers today you really got to do your home work before letting them touch any thing. The last clock I had service it came back the same way not working around Bozeman MT there only one so I am now screwed were I got to drive out of state to drop it of to one who knows what they are doing. One thing I miss in Calif so many good clockmakers one could make a good living in MT if they opened up a shop. I would get the old movement back and see if it can be saved good luck.

6. Canuck Feb 20, 2018

A responsible shop would have told you in advance that he would replace the movement. And give you the option of whether or not that would be okay. I suggest that you get the movement back, and be prepared to raise the roof if he’s not prepared to return it! It is clearly a Connecticut clock. Maker? The dial is not marked, and sometimes the movement insn’t either.