166.010 / 168.024 potential purchase advice?

Hello friends!

I would very much like to own a 168.024 on a BOR bracelet and have come across this one on Chrono 24. It is from a seller that I have used in the past and like (thanks for the tip on that, @kaplan !). I know the dial and hands are not in the best of shape, but personally, I really like the aging on this particular dial and I would be buying it to wear, and not necessarily to have a mint condition collector piece. I'm not in love with the condition of the hands, but I think I can find replacements.

My questions are:

Does this bezel look like it is a little small to anyone else or am I seeing things? Did they make different sized bezels for these? The crystal also looks like it is much taller than what I usually see. It has the omega logo etched in it, but maybe it is not the correct one for this reference. Does anyone else see this? Does anyone see any other red flags that I am missing?

I am not an expert on this reference (or any reference, really, hah), so I appreciate opinions from anyone who is.

As always, thanks for your replies!

166.010-1.jpg 166.010-2.jpg 166.010-3.jpg 166.010-4.jpg 166.010-5.jpg

It all looks good to me. The crystal could be a later service crystal...manufactures often change the profile for one reason or another. I like the patina...it shows that it has lived life. If you want "perfect," buy a new watch. I like it a lot.

Crown has been replaced with a service variant, and the movement may have had some of its bridges replaced. The automatic bridge's hue of copper doesn't match the other components, so that likely means it's not original to the watch. The case has been polished at least once, as the sides of this case are typically vertically brushed. The dial is also fairly patinated, which one would expect to reduce the price a bit. While the watch comes on a bracelet, the BOR appears to have been stretched, and will probably need restoration if you don't want it to wear loose. The crystal also appears to be a high-dome replacement. I do not know whether it is original though, as I can't see an Omega logo etched into the center of the crystal.

I wouldn't pay more than $1.25k for this watch. And heads-up, if the seller isn't from Japan, this watch is probably being flipped from a Japanese seller.

This is not a rare reference and with the (likely) incorrect crystal, incorrect crown, and poor dial I’d wait for a better one unless it’s around $400-500.

You can find an original, unserviced examles of this, with a good dial for reasonable money, particularly from some of the Japanese sellers