Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Dec 21, 2017

Hey guys,

This Seamaster 300 165.014-63 has been advertised locally. The bezel unfortunately has been damaged and I was wondering how that would affect the value? I also know that these bezels regularly replaced, does the remaining 80% look original?

Plus side is that it has a 7912 bracelet with No.6 endlinks which seemed to have shot up in $$ recently.

How would you rate the overall condition and potential value?
    $_20.JPG $_20(5).JPG $_20(3).JPG $_20(2).JPG $_20(4).JPG $_20(8).JPG $_20(7).JPG
    Thanks,
    Ed

2. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 21, 2017

EdtheAussie and MaiLollo like this.
  3. EdtheAussie Dec 21, 2017

I have seen it on the bay, but the seller has it posted on a local classified also and I may be able to secure it prior to the auction price sky rocketing.

Just trying to get an idea if it looks like an authentic/good buy as I will need to move on some other watches to fund the purchase if I do so. (which would actually be a later sm300 that needs a new set of hands).

4. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 21, 2017

Hi Ed

Well I like it....overall condition looks very good , Dial & handset lume match , correct hand config & look at the rear of the Case lugs - sharp & the Caseback is nice too !

Quite a few turned screw heads (?) on the 20m Serial movement and the rubber seal is shot - so it's going to need a full Service.

Considering the original Bezel insert & the 7912/6 is included , I imagine you will need to offer a high 4x figure sum , very possibly a 5x figure in any currency to actually get it on your wrist.

Good luck !

Best - Neil

kox, cristos71 and EdtheAussie like this.
  5. kox Dec 21, 2017

+1 on what Neil said....
    ...AND this is one of the very earliest 165.014-63 with the correct non T marking dial and also correct early short body sec hand.
    And the 7912 is properly also original to the watch. 1-64 match production date of this serial range, which properly is very late 63 or early 1964.
    It will end pretty high, so I would move fast downunder ;-)

6. EdtheAussie Dec 22, 2017

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can secure a deal within my price range. :)

Edited Dec 22, 2017
  7. marco Dec 22, 2017

Best of luck, it sometimes favours the brave or rich !

EdtheAussie likes this.
  8. EdtheAussie Dec 22, 2017

Hey guys,

The seller has the price for the watch at 12.5k AUD on the local classified.

1) do you think if the auction goes through the price will be much higher than that? (if so what amount?)

2) and if you do, would it be prudent to try and pick it up for that amount before the auction price does skyrocket?

It is a lot of money personally, but I could sell a few pieces to fund it if there was the justification of value adding in the long run.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
    Ed

9. marco Dec 22, 2017

Eddie, If you really like this watch I would be taking @kox's advice.
    I was waiting for him to chime in as I did not want to encourage you and I may have missed something.
    It looks good to me .

10. flame Speedmaster Neil Dec 23, 2017

Hi Ed

Ah , so if it's 12.5k AUD....then:

1) I predict the Auction will end higher than this figure ( Final Bid was 13.1k AUD....so +5%....guess I would have won ! )....I used to add on 10% contingency on to my MAX bid figure....probably now more like 20%....and I still lose. Of course the @Spacefruit method is just to bid and demolish everyone else in the room !

2) Yes

Get on with it....:)

Best - Neil

Edited Dec 25, 2017
    marco likes this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 24, 2017

If something is really worth having, then it is worth overpaying for - I forget the price each time I look at the quality.

If it is not worth having, then I do not buy it at any price. Never buy because it "must be worth the money".

Historically if I over pay for something, but it is the best available, then it has always turned out cheap in the end.

The BIG problem, is overpaying for something that i think is special, only to find it is damaged or not as I thought.

The other problem is that WWW has enabled drunk bidders to stab bids late at night skewing the market.

I have actually lost two watches this year by not being drunk, and coming to my senses leaving the winners with what I still believe to be expensive Speedmasters.

On the other hand, I did win the most expensive watch I ever bought, and believe it to be the best bargain of the year.

More on that when the OF railroad makes its slow steamy way to me.

Merry Christmas all....

TNTwatch, marco, flame and 1 other person like this.
  12. dan7800 Dec 24, 2017

So there is only one rational answer to the problem........

Let me know if you need coaching advice.

marco, Spacefruit and EdtheAussie like this.