Forums Latest Members
  1. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jul 17, 2017

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 17, 2017

I thought this was a game of how many different fonts can you spot on one dial.

khmt2, Maganator, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  3. morningtundra Jul 17, 2017

Yes the dial looks refinished but not badly. There are worse refins out there. Price may be a little optimistic for a refin.

4. Maganator Jul 17, 2017

There are two styles of 1 and two styles of 3 and 6 that I can see.

As a general rule, I take it the original dial would have uniform fonts for all numbers? Probably a stupid question but if you are going to put the effort into making a decent redial then surely uniformity must be high on the checklist for you?

5. sgrossma Jul 17, 2017

Yikes... scary that such a highly regarded vintage dealer does not disclose this...

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 17, 2017

Refinished, and not appropriately.
    Important to understand as dealers enter the broader watch market (beyond Rolex and Patek) that many to not know the pieces very well.

7. wsfarrell Jul 17, 2017

Understood, but dealers are regarded as experts by the general public (rightly or wrongly), and are profiting from what they sell. These factors oblige them, in my opinion, to have a deep understanding of their merchandise.

8. Kmart Jul 17, 2017

I really like what @Spacefruit said on this subject:

Essentially, do your own research and never ever trust a vintage watch dealer to do it for you. I've visited HQ Milton and they are great people who would never intentionally mislead their customers, but they just don't have the time to research every watch that comes through the door.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2017

Agree completely.

Sorry, but that ain't good enough. If a dealer is going to sell expensive watches, and characterize them as "Authenticity Guaranteed", they should make the time to research. It's essentially dishonest for dealers not to identify redials as such, as neophytes are virtually certain to be fooled.

Edited Jul 17, 2017
  10. Kmart Jul 17, 2017

To be fair, this works both ways. Since they do have an "Authenticity Guarantee", one can always return the watch if they get it in hand and decide that it's not original.

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2017

Actually, that depends very much on how they define "Authenticity". The subject watch could be considered by the shop to be an "authentic" Zenith with a redial.

12. Kmart Jul 17, 2017

That's true, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt in this case. Plus they state that you may return the watch for any reason within the inspection period if not completely satisfied. So it's not as if they would argue with you about their definition of authenticity if you tried to return a watch.

Either way I think we agree that it's ultimately up to the customer to decide for themselves if a watch is original or not.

khmt2, Traveler and Tony C. like this.