Forums Latest Members
  1. Doug G Dec 28, 2021

Hello.

I am new to this forum and my family and I were going through my dad's jewelry case and we found two watches. I will post the other one on the modern forums. I have a case and backing plate that are stamped in 14K gold and I know the band is not original and the clasp on the band is corroding. I am just trying to get more information on it and there are no markings or serial numbers that I can find on it. Does anyone have any idea or any information would be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance.

Omega 14K Automatic - Front.jpeg Omega 14K Automatic - Back.jpeg Omega 14K Automatic - Front - CloseUp.JPG Omega 14K Automatic - Right Side View with Crown.JPG Omega 14K Automatic - Left Side View.JPG
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 28, 2021

I saw your thread about the Speedmaster - nice, very nice - and thought I'd see what you have in this thread.

I believe the dial was refinished which really hurts the resale value to a watch collector. I'm curious about the case, maybe it's one of the American or British cases that were used after the 2nd World War in those markets. Be nice to have the case opened by a watchmaker and have a peek at the movement and inside of the caseback.

Mark020 likes this.
  3. sleepyastronaut Dec 28, 2021

Hour and minute hands don't look like they match the dial hardware. Guessing this is an American made case from the hallmark. Let's see what we can see inside the case back.

4. vbrad26 Dec 29, 2021

Looks like my Jonell case Seamaster...
    Once you open it up, the info should be there on the inside of the caseback.

Dan S likes this.
  5. Doug G Dec 29, 2021

What makes you think it is a refinished dial? I am just trying to learn myself at this point. I do not know if I want to keep this watch as the Speedmaster seems to be a bit more appealing according to the folks on the forum. I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. Which one would you keep? See other post below:

Omega Speedmaster | Omega Forums

Thank you in advance.

6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 29, 2021

It could be scratches on the crystal; bear in mind I'm looking at this through your picture on my laptop and not in my hand with a loupe but that "M" in AUTOMATIC looks kind of sketchy...

LesXL and vbrad26 like this.
  7. vbrad26 Dec 29, 2021

Well if I had to choose which one to keep it would obviously be the Speedy.
    However, you might as well keep both.
    If you are looking to make money, sell the Speedy.

Like others have said, it is a re-dial. Meaning that it is not the "original" dial. It is not necessarily a bad one, but there are some tells.
    You can tell by the "Omega Automatic" text, it is not crisp and appears to me to be slightly off center. And the "M" Automatic is quite off.
    Also as already mentioned, hour and minute hands do not appear to be original because they look silver when seconds hand and indicators appear to be gold.

LesXL likes this.
  8. Dug Dec 29, 2021

Don't know if its my eyesight, or perhaps the angle of the head-on shot, but aren't some of the hour markers/battens malaligned?.....particularly the 10,11,12, and 1 o clock, indicating a definite redial?

9. LesXL Dec 29, 2021

As previously mentioned, the M of automatic indeed, bit the whole word as such looks floppy. additionally, I'd say minutes markers should be on the edge of the outer ring tone as well. Some irregular spacing between them too, for example between minutes 41-42-43 gaps are uneven...

Edit: that been said, the watch looks nice, and on wrist, I'm sure nobody will be telling you... "Oh, you got a redial Omega!". If the watch has a sentimental value to you, than all of the above is more educative and you should enjoy it, and wear it in good health (maybe after a good movement service).

ConElPueblo and vbrad26 like this.
  10. Doug G Dec 29, 2021

To be honest I know they were given to my Dad from my Grandfather and now my dad is passing them down, but the information that you all have provided me is really helping me out and really going to make my decision as which one I will keep and I will for sure I think sell the Seamaster as my wrist is way too big for that one and I will never wear it. So now I understand what you are saying now. Thank you very much!

LesXL and Duracuir1 like this.
  11. vbrad26 Dec 29, 2021

Look, you might as well keep the Seamaster too. If only for sentimental reasons.
    You will not get much for it.

TheGreekPhysique and LesXL like this.
  12. LesXL Dec 29, 2021

Maybe for the next generation :)
    That size is also very popular for ladies

vbrad26 likes this.
  13. Doug G Dec 29, 2021

I took the back cover off and found the following markings on it. See below:

GX6558
    D92489

Has a carving on the upper right labeled

RK61.11
    SJ-66

I am not sure what that means, but this is what I found. See the pictures. Thank you.

Omega Seamaster 14K Automatic - Back Cover Off01.JPG Omega Seamaster 14K Automatic - Back Cover Off05.JPG
  14. Doug G Dec 29, 2021

Here is closeup picture of dial and I already made up my mind I will be selling this Seamaster to fund a band for the Speedmaster and put some change in my pocket based on all the information I have gotten from you guys. Based on that what would you guys value it at and it does have gold value I know that. Thank you all!

Omega Seamaster 14K Automatic - Front - CloseUp.JPG
  15. stormysky10 Dec 29, 2021

Here's the database entry for GX 6558: https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-us-collection-omega-gx-6558

The previous suspicions about this being an American-cased Jonell check out given the inside of the caseback (Jonell's hallmark is the J with the clockhand running across the top). For value, I'd check eBay for to see if similar watches have sold recently to get an idea of the market price.

Edit: Just saw the Speedmaster. Very nice.

16. Dan S Dec 29, 2021

It's just very hard to put a realistic value on a piece like this. It has too many issues to be of interest to a collector, so it's either going to be purchased by a newbie that likes the way it looks, or someone will buy it to melt the gold and sell the movement for parts. The latter would be the easiest way to put a value on it, but it might bring more money as a watch. Personally, I'd just put it on eBay.

17. vbrad26 Dec 29, 2021

I missed the fact that it was not just gold filled. So that will help.
    But yes do a Google search for "Omega Seamaster GX6558" and see what you can find.

18. Doug G Dec 29, 2021

Thank you for the information guys! This is awesome forum you all have. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time. I will do more research on it.

LesXL and vbrad26 like this.