Forums Latest Members
  1. munichblue Mar 15, 2017

Dear community,

A trusted source offered me this Speedy. He told me at least he can guarantee the dial and the hands are original parts. The watch has created some interest and it is reserved till 2pm GMT today for me.

I'm vey new in Omega vintages and already ordered the 2nd edition of the Moonwatch only but haven't got it for obvious reasons. So I've got some questions:

1. Why doesn't the colour of the hands match the colour of the indexes of the dial, is this normal?
    2. Do the hands look original for the experts?
    3. Dial is obviously a step dial which should be the right dial for this reference, correct?
    4. Caseback also seems to be correct for -71, isn't it?
    5. Do you think pushers and crown are original?
    6. Any hints for the movement?

Bezel looks very rocked, what do you think overall? Is it worth over 4.000 EUR?

I checked whatever my untrained eye can spot against a reference on speedmaster101.com but I'm still unsure.

Any comments and hints would be highly appreciated.

Mike

IMG_1085.JPG IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG

2. RJwatches Mar 15, 2017

In my opinion, this isn't worth 4k.

Also on a side note, why would the seller blur out the reference number on the inside of the caseback? ::confused2::

zerocool, abrod520, cvrle1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Jeroensv Mar 15, 2017

Not worth 4k in my opinion, just like @RJwatches already said why blur the reference number inside the case?
    I'm not sure about the pushers and crown but the hands are at least relumed and the job is not done nicely. A '71 in mint condition is not even worth 4k in Euros in my opinion and this one for sure isn't.

4. Banner Roar Mar 15, 2017

Hands look to be relumed. What material is the brake. Looks like delrin brake so an earlier movement than should be found in a 71. Not liking this one.

munichblue likes this.
  5. Speedmasterfan88 Mar 15, 2017

You can do better than this for 4K € definitely.

1&2: Color of the hands don't Match tritium on the dial because they have been relumed. And as others pointed out, not a very good job as is.
    That said, hand lume and dial lume don't always match perfectly even if original! But the contrast shouldn't be that obvious. The style of the hands are correct for this model thou.

3. Step dial is correct up until -74.

4. Caseback is the correct style/engraving but could be everything from -71 onwards. Hard to say with the number blurred out. Lugholes indicate -71-78. but I'm no expert on these.

5. Crown looks original to me, replacement would have a bigger omega Logo on it. Not sure on the pushers.

6. Caliber of movement is correct, 861. without movement number hard to tell if of correct age.
    As @Banner Roar pointed out, the brake looks strange.

Over all this watch is not terrible. Hands could be replaced with correct vintage ones. A nice bracelet added and you would have an OK watch. But not for 4k.
    Case also lacks some sharpness I'd like to see.

Given your username and that price is in euros I'm guessing you'r from Munich?

If so, I'd highly recommend you to check out the Munich watch fair!

http://www.uhrenboerse-online.de/termine/

Lots of vintage and sometimes good deals to be made! I just attended a similar event in Frankfurt and 4K would have gotten you a very nice 145.022-69 straight writing with a bit of negotiation. (I didn't buy it though as I already have this exact ref.)

Good on your part to check MWO and Speedmaster101. Those are great resources! Keep reading, check back here and I'm sure you will find a nice Speedmaster for 4K in the near future.

Cheers,

Max

Jeroensv and munichblue like this.
  6. munichblue Mar 15, 2017

Okay guys, thanks very much for your support. :thumbsup:

I let it go, wait for my Moonwatch Only, learn and start hunting again then.

7. Maganator Mar 15, 2017

Is it a 71 you are after or any vintage Speedy?

8. Davidt Mar 15, 2017

It far from great.

Case is over polished, movement look average at best, hands have been relumed and re-painted badly, bezel is average and the dial looks off to me. Like it's been toughed up in places. I don't think it's a full on redial, but either way, it's not nice.

Wait for a better one.

oddboy likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 15, 2017

I am afraid I was off to a bad start when I read:
    "A trusted source offered me this Speedy. He told me at least he can guarantee the dial and the hands are original parts. The watch has created some interest and it is reserved till 2pm GMT today for me. "

Trusted? Why
    Guarantee the hands are original? How? (And they are not)
    Watch has created some interest? Really? REALLY?
    How kind of of him to rush you on what is really, a pretty average watch.

Now I happen to know good -71's are trading at $4000+ but this is not one of them.

And that Delrin Brake should not be on a -71

So if this seller calls this an all original watch then I do not trust a word he says.

Especially the bit about the amount of interest created

abrod520, munichblue, oddboy and 4 others like this.
  10. zerocool Mar 15, 2017

Like many have said, a pretty high number for a subpar example. Hands relumed in an awful matter, also, the dial may have been relumed sometime in the past. Also, as someone mentioned, why would the dealer blur inside of the caseback?

munichblue and oddboy like this.
  11. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Mar 15, 2017

The only thing I'll add to what others have said - your "Help Needed Urgently!" wording in the title is a word of caution. You should never rush into the purchase of a vintage watch without much knowledge of the watch itself - especially in the current times. The Speedmaster has been in continuous production since the 1950s...there will always be another Speedmaster out there. Put your wallet in your pocket until you feel like you've mastered the ins and outs of vintage Speedies - and you can start by reading all of Speedmaster101 / digging through this very forum here while waiting for your MWO to arrive. Let this crap example go, and take your time to build up confidence in your own knowledge base.

And I say all of that with kindness (but a bit of sternness as well) ;)

12. munichblue Mar 15, 2017

Point taken and lessons learned, Sir! :cool:

Thanks to all of you for your quick judgement and helping me to avoid a mistake. :thumbsup:

Speedmasterfan88, bazamu and Andy K like this.