Forums Latest Members

145.022-69 ST - Seems to check out, but advice sought

1. sjg22 Nov 25, 2015

I'm looking for an honest, original 145.022 and I would appreciate expert opinion as to whether the watch pictured below fits that description.

Having consumed large swaths of older posts in this forum, to my eyes it looks legitimate.

Dial: Looks like an original, period correct stepped dial with wide spaced T SWISS MADE T. My only concern on the dial would be whether it's ever been relumed at some point... I'm leaning towards no, but would appreciate others' thoughts.

Hands: Lume missing in the hour and minute hands, but they look right. The aging of the patina in the large chrono hand seems to roughly match that of the hour plots on the dial (and I believe it's the correct hand for this reference) - again, very much appreciating everyone's opinion. My one question would be re: the sub-dial hands and their originality. In particular, one looks slightly differently coloured that the other two.

Bezel: Looks, to me, to be correct.

Crown and pushers: Look to be original (the crown has a ding in it, which I would imagine a less legitimate seller would have replaced....)

Case: Doesn't look polished - ad suggests it hasn't been and my eyes seem to agree. Caseback is pre-moon with hippocampus; original owner seems to have added an inscription as well.

Serial: 8 digits, starting 30XXXXXX, which seems to match with quick refernce charts I've seen posted.

Movement: Looks to be in decent enough shape - a few bits of either dirt or corrosion visible here and there. Seller states that the movement has not been serviced recently.

Bracelet: Sold on a NATO strap, so no bracelet.

Price: Seller is seeking $3,800 US, which I believe is on the high side. I believe that this would qualify as "Running" rather than "Good/Very Good" per the price chart at Speedmaster101.com, as it almost perfect meets the definition of 'Running': "Probably needing a service, but all parts present and correct for the reference. This is the most common category, be prepared to reduce from here for each incorrect part." Suggested pricing for 'Running' is $2,750, while pricing for 'Good' is $3,500 (in other words, roughly the pricing of the good servicing that a 'Running' watch would need).

Depending on the viewpoints of you experts, I'm contemplating an offer of $3,000 (I doubt the seller will accept) with potentially being comfortable up to $3,300. Thoughts on the value based on the photos and everyone's collective experience?

Thanks for any and all assistance!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pitpro Likes the game. Nov 25, 2015

Personally I'd look look for another one in better condition.
    The inscription is a detraction and the caseback very
    worn down. A few areas of light rusting visible in
    the movement also. Also don't like the way the
    chrono hand posts were painted/or glued. You
    can do better for the same or a wee bit more money

MikiJ likes this.
  3. daswunschkind Nov 25, 2015

Hi there.
    Nice watch, seems to have been through some rough times, but fine.
    All you say is correct and the watch looks original to me.
    The caseback has been over polished. Not my taste.
    Yes, the price is definitely on the high side, specially on a NATO strap.
    You have to consider at least 300-600 EUR for a steel bracelet (depending on NOS or vintage).
    So, it's your call...

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 25, 2015

There are way better examples out there for way lower asking prices.
    I would be embarrassed to ask that much for that watch.

Spacefruit likes this.
  5. repoman Nov 25, 2015

I just saw a '69 on Craigslist in about the same condition as this one, with a bracelet, for $1000. I'd pass on this one, its way overpriced.

6. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 25, 2015

Come on John, show him what one looks like if he's as diligent and knowledgeable as you ;)

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 25, 2015

Here's a -68 I got for only a few bills more..

Tranny1.jpg

So, I agree with others, priced a bit high, even at $3300.

Edit: I should add, Great research on your own! Keep it up and with a little patience, you're going to land a good one!

Edited Nov 25, 2015
    Dgercp and gophishin like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 25, 2015

I would take this watch as "running", but subtract the value of the caseback, as the engraving seems to contribute nothing to the charm.

It has the less valuable bezel. The whole bezel situation needs to be remembered when buying these. Obviously an earlier 69 is worth more with the correct bezel.

The chrono creep is obvious.

I cannot see the case sides but they show some damage on the photos.

i see some charm in the dial hands and bezel.

Check out eBay to see what these things are achieving.

It's not 3300

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 25, 2015

Dude.

You. didn't. buy. it. ?

10. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Nov 25, 2015

Can you forward the ad please. Ill buy it.

11. sjg22 Nov 25, 2015

Thanks very much for all of the responses. I'll hold fire and wait for something better. Glad my eye for Speedmasters is improving and I'm my reading of this board is slowly improving my ability to parse out originality (although I'm apparently still miles away on parsing out value).

That '68 posted by oddboy is an absolute beauty. Very much what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the expertise - this board is an incredible resource and I'm very appreciative of having access to the depth of knowledge and wisdom possessed by forum members.

oddboy likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 25, 2015

13. repoman Nov 25, 2015

OK, so here's the story.... I was browsing like I do occasionally but not really looking for anything.. and boom '69 Speedy, one owner, just up the road from me in OC. It looked like an everyday wearer and was pretty obvious it wasn't functioning 100%, but looked all original, and priced at $1000. Overall, looked like a good beater. I thought to myself.... self, this would be an easy pickup, service for $500, and then offer it up at $2500 and make an easy thou.. or, keep it but I don't really want a well used '69. At this point, I started to convince myself that I'm just too busy right now to play around with a little watch project, this is craigslist afterall so who the hell knows if its even legit, so I back-burner'ed the idea for day as I went back to my job duties. That night, I had second thoughts and emailed the seller with a few questions... no response, checked the ad again in the morning and it was gone. Looks like someone snatched it up. No regrets, I really don't need another project right now.

14. Cal_321 Nov 26, 2015

hands off ;-)

15. incabloc Nov 26, 2015

it seems that are till now many -69 for sale are arround, i also had them not on my radar. But since the prices for a nice 321 are going up and up the -69 are a good and affordable alternative i think. That was the reason to purchase 2 -69. The one with Box and Papers with serial 3058...., DOT90 and 1039 for CHF3200.- and the other one with a later serial 3131....for CHF2200.-. Both of them not a bargain but in a realistic price range. IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1107.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

TLIGuy, Spacefruit and pitpro like this.