Forums Latest Members

145.012 and 145.022 same case? size? any difference?

1. vintage.passion Nov 13, 2015

Hello I can't seem to find any news about the Speedmaster case. What I need to know if there is a way to distinguish a 1968 one with a 145.012-68 (321 movement) and a later 145.022-69 (861) are the cases the same?
    Is there any way to understand if the case (NOT the caseback of course) is really an old one and from which year?

If not may I assume that I can use a new untouched 1980 case and fit movement (ex.321) dial, etc into it?
    Does it make sense?
    Thank you very much.
    S

2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Nov 13, 2015

Think you can find your answer here on http://speedmaster101.com/ ?
    And every possible mismatch of movements and dial,cases etc is probably out there in the world of speedmaster . So beware what you buy::facepalm2::

Edited Nov 13, 2015
  3. vintage.passion Nov 14, 2015

thanks, I read it all but no one seems to care about the cases, while all the rest is very well described!

4. base615 Nov 14, 2015

My understanding is there is no difference with the actual cases, and therefore no way of knowing if a case is matched to the rest of it but I'd wait for one of the experts to chime in rather than accepting my limited knowledge as gospel.

vintage.passion likes this.
  5. Davidt Nov 14, 2015

If you're talking about post 68 case bands, so excluding straight lugs, CB cases etc, then I believe they're very similar but there are some very minor differences.

One ive come across is the position of the spring bar holes. They're slightly higher on older cases as modern solid end links won't fit correctly without filing down the lip on the end links. I'm sure there are other minor differences.

Of course this doesn't stop you replacing a 69 case band with a newer one, as long as the case back threads are the same.

6. watchtinker Nov 14, 2015

Differences in case bands are very subtle and might be found also in cases from the same period and the same manufacturer. Difference in the the position of the spring bar holes is one, as noted above, but also the profile may vary slightly, as well as the dimension of the ring holding the bezel. This is especially the case with 2998's.
    As far as I know, however, this fact has never attracted the attention of collectors.
    From my personal experience I am prone to think that, for example, lot 3 of the upcoming Christie's December auction might be a modern replacement regardless of the "experts" opinion.

vintage.passion likes this.