Forums Latest Members
  1. Ed Black Jul 2, 2019

Tried to sell this honeycomb dialed beauty form 1950 at the local vintage Omega boutique. I really trust them, but would also be grateful for a second opinion from you experts out there. They claim it's a redial, which makes me really surprised. It's in such a great shape otherwise, and was only used for special occasions. Any thoughts appreciated. /Ed 2019-07-02 21.31.35.jpg

heavenscloud likes this.
  2. Rochete Jul 2, 2019

Could you take some more and better photos?

DaveK, Ed Black and efauser like this.
  3. Mac5 Jul 2, 2019

Sorry. They don't know what they are talking about. I doubt any of the people there know much about vintage Omega's. They sell new ones. It's not a redial. Very hard to redial a waffle/honeycomb dial. Very nice watch btw.

heavenscloud, felsby and efauser like this.
  4. Ed Black Jul 3, 2019

Thanks Mac5 for sharing your knowledge. I was so sceptical, since I know the history of the watch. I guess in theory the dial could have been damaged and the rest of the watch kept in this beautiful condition, but I suspect most redialed watches also show some wear on the case etc.

Mac5 likes this.
  5. Ed Black Jul 3, 2019

Ok, I'll try to take some pictures through a loupe!

6. Mac5 Jul 3, 2019

Like I stated previously, it's a very nice watch. Especially, if it is 14k gold. I would swap out the band with a nice brown leather band and wear it! :thumbsup: I'm a sucker for the honeycomb/waffle dial!

Ed Black likes this.
  7. jimmyd13 Jul 3, 2019

It looks good from that angle but better photos are needed. Get some straight on with the hands centred if you can.

Ed Black likes this.
  8. AriTheWatchmaker Jul 3, 2019

More photos definitely, but it looks nice and the registers are centered nicely as shown. Please note that there are certianly dial refinishers that can do a beautiful job, but only work for watchmakers directly.
    In reality it is known that Omega had been sending vintage dials out for refinishing a while back- like early 2000's it was still a known thing, as the company had every die and did beautiful work that was flawless. Over time I am sure they started sending dials back to Singer or another company in Switzerland because the Swiss Made definition changes over time and the factory works within the current parameters of the rules.
    Ari

Ed Black likes this.
  9. Ed Black Jul 3, 2019

heavenscloud likes this.
  10. Rochete Jul 3, 2019

I think it's real, and very nice one. Not an expert opinion.

heavenscloud and Ed Black like this.
  11. Ed Black Jul 3, 2019

Tried to get some better pics through a loupe. Can't remove the bracelet for fear of scratching the head.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 3, 2019

I think it's a re-dial based on those pictures.

Swiss Made is not centred correctly (last S in Swiss should be almost at BDC).
    Omega is not centred correctly, the E is centred directly beneath the Ω, 99% of the ones I've seen have the E slightly more to the right of centre.

Other than that it's a very good job.

Only my opinion of course, I've been wrong before.

Ed Black likes this.
  13. jimmyd13 Jul 4, 2019

Really need a photograph taken parallel to the dial. Things look out of line now but printing on an uneven surface is very difficult, so need that photo to give a best opinion.

Ed Black likes this.
  14. Ed Black Jul 4, 2019

Ok I’ll try again later today!

15. Ed Black Jul 4, 2019

2019-07-04 21.38.50.jpg

jimmyd13 and heavenscloud like this.
  16. Ed Black Jul 4, 2019

Ok, here's a picture up front!

heavenscloud likes this.
  17. Ed Black Jul 4, 2019

But how can I get off this bracelet? There's no space to get in some pliars and the spring bar tool doesn't get a grip on the bars.

18. heavenscloud Jul 4, 2019

Don't try to get the bracelet off if you're not comfortable doing so. Gold is soft :) Also, if that's a re-dial, I want the name of the guy that did it.

Mac5 likes this.
  19. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 4, 2019

It could be how this is showing on my phone, in person you could see better, but the minute markers look off alignment at 1, 7, 8, 9 and 10. If I was buying I would suspect redial (but a good one as noted above). This is the assessment of someone with new/intermediate knowledge

20. jimmyd13 Jul 5, 2019

@Ed Black ... I've just spent a good five minutes looking at that photo (excellent picture, by the way - exactly what's needed to give an opinion).

Now, this is opinion only and it's only mine. There are some plots that are slightly off. I've seen this on waffle dials that are definitely correct. It's really hard to get a perfect print on an uneven surface. However, I'm going to edge to this one being an old (and probably factory) re-dial. The thing that's swinging it for me is the positioning of the SWISS MADE. The "OMEGA" looks a little off to one side as well, but that's such a minor misplacement that I don't think it's conclusive. The "SWISS" definitely is off centre though.

Usually, with these dials it's a clear cut yes or no. This one is really, really good. At first, I thought it was correct. Now, I'm coming down on the side of a re-dial.