Forums Latest Members
  1. candersen Feb 6, 2016

Hi guys,

I have this Vintage Omega watch which I inherited from my grandfather without any information on it.

I took it to the Omega store at the Aventura Mall in Miami and the guy who saw it told me that he thinks it's an original Omega because of the weight of it but he didn't know the year or model.

Then I took it to a second Omega store in Miami also and the guy who saw it couldn't find any info also, but he also told me that he thinks the watch was real because of the weight and it should be around 1947 - 1950 and it could be worth between $10.000 and $13.000.

The watch has always being working good without a problem.

BTW, the strap is new and bought it 2 days ago at the second Omega store in Miami.

If someone could give any info on it I will appreciate it a lot.

Greetings from Chile and sorry for the bad english!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. redpcar Feb 6, 2016

we need some pics

3. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 6, 2016

In what currency? Please.

MikiJ and JakeSkyEllis like this.
  4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 6, 2016

I would imagine Pesos.....maybe the guy in Miami was either thinking of the old country when he offered that valuation or he had found some particularly good Ganja. Watch appears to have non original hands and the dial has been refinished. It is also gold capped and not solid by the look of it. Even in Pesos you would probably have to divide by three to get an approximate value.

The model number may be on the inner case back. Also a pic of the movement would help confirm the calibre which, probably, is a 30 mm calibre.

Cheers

Desmond

chronos, Noles_88, candersen and 2 others like this.
  5. candersen Feb 6, 2016

Hi guys, sorry, he told me 10.000 USD, that was I couldn't believe. I can't take a picture of the inside because I can't open it...

6. alam Feb 6, 2016

did they put the watch on a scale to determine its weight and thus authenticity?

::popcorn::

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. candersen Feb 6, 2016

No, they didn't in both of the stores, just look it for 15 minutes with a magnifier and "felt" the weight by hand. They told me it wouldn't help to know the exact weight because they don't know the exact weight of the original vintage omegas as they do with the new ones...

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2016

Actually could be worth maybe $200. or maybe less. Sorry, the guy at mall did not know what he was talking about. As already stated it is gold capped, which means hardly any gold and not enough to even melt. Sorry. Keep it as a remembrance of your Grandfather.

candersen likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 6, 2016

I agree with the others. Probably authentic but worth less than us$200

candersen likes this.
  10. alam Feb 6, 2016

Desmond's estimate was accurate too; 10,000 pesos/3 = 3,333.34 = $180 USD

JakeSkyEllis and candersen like this.
  11. candersen Feb 6, 2016

Thanks! I dont mind about the money, I would like to know if it's original or not and what model or year it is. Thanks!!

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2016

Think you have a O to many
    $100.00 or $130.00

Edited Feb 6, 2016
  13. candersen Feb 6, 2016

Awesome!! Glad you like it, the nature on the sout of the country is amazing, I'm actually from Tierra del Fuego, so you can imagine how far is to travel from there to Miami haha, thanks for the info!

PS: I like your country too

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2016

The watch is real, the dial was reprinted. Reprinted is less desirable. To tell which reference (model) and what the movement is, we would need to see inside the watch.

candersen likes this.
  15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 6, 2016

We went down to Puenta Arenas and went on a cruise on the via Australis. Stunning!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

candersen likes this.
  16. candersen Feb 6, 2016

Oh, ok, that's a shame, I don't want to open it because it works great and wouldn't like to touch it if it's not bad. Thanks a lot for aproving that is original, it's awesome to know that it is and the value at the end is more sentimental. Thanks!!

17. candersen Feb 6, 2016

That's awesome! That's where I went to school, such a small world!! Glad you like it, Torres del Paine is outstanding is it?

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2016

I have visited both area Omega stores several times. While the salespeople there enjoy seeing the vintage watches, their knowledge is strictly limited to the newer models. After all, that's their job, to sell new watches.

I would think that they would always err on the (extreme) high side if asked for "appraisals". After all, they would not want to risk alienating a potential customer.

They may have charged you more for the strap than the value of the watch.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
    gatorcpa

19. ConElPueblo Feb 7, 2016

Excuse me, but isn't the OP supposed to be rude, claiming that all here are liars and generally throw all his toys out of the pram?

@candersen - this is not how things are done on here. Please conform to the stringent behavioural code for new members with inherited watches, or there will be trouble...

Joke :p

20. candersen Feb 7, 2016

Hi, thanks for the info! Yeah, I think that you are right, the strap was 130 USD, I also think is more expensive than the watch but at the end the sentimental value is what is worth. Thanks for the reply! Have a good day!