Forums Latest Members
  1. Smosler Aug 8, 2022

What is the correct bezel for this watch?

2. befobe Aug 8, 2022

There are several correct bezel for this ref.
    Dot Over Ninety if tachymeter version, but also decimal. Pulsometer? I don't know. Experts here on OF will probably confirm that or not.

Just one more thing.
    Usually, it's good here to start with a "hi OF", or something like that. Maybe old-fashioned. But a polite and efficient way to start gathering informations on this wonderful forum.

UWG, Franco, mountainunder and 6 others like this.
  3. mac_omega Aug 8, 2022

exactly!

watchyouwant likes this.
  4. Smosler Aug 8, 2022

Sorry about that. New to the space
    I appreciate the feedback and thanks who all that reply !

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 8, 2022

I respectfully disagree. There is only one truly correct bezel for any of the three 105.003 variants IMO. MWO call it B1 Dot diagonal 70, but DO90 also works as a name. It's the Base 500 bezel Omega used on both straight lug and Pro Speedies from circa 1962 to 1969 You see the others from time to time but the number of those fitted actually in period by the factory and not later are vanishingly small. The Tachy bezel isn't the most useful design of bezel, but it is the one most true to the original watch IMO. When you see an Ed White at auction with a Deci or whatever bezel it has usually been added by the (dealer) seller because the DO90 was lost or damaged beyond repair.

Here I respectfully agree!

Edited Aug 8, 2022
    UWG, gminnj, MtV and 3 others like this.
  6. Smosler Aug 8, 2022

Thank you!

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 8, 2022

Not neccessary ..... I bought a few Speedies with the old Pulsometer scale from Medical Doctors ..... Because that made the Speedy Tax Deductible for medical Doctors as a medical Tool....

Redwes25, gminnj, Eve and 3 others like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 9, 2022

Ok I’ll concede the point about tax benefits is interesting but the thing about the alternative bezels is that there are maybe 10x more out there today it seems than ever left the factory. It’s like with black dial dress watches, care must be taken since it’s route one for the lazy restorer.

I must say I don’t find the original pulsometer bezel all that nice to look at though 1/2 of it is blank! ;) Maybe they should have used 30 pulsations like they have on the recent straight lug re-edition.

Edited Aug 9, 2022
  9. befobe Aug 12, 2022

And I'm respectfully holding my ground. If pulso and decimal were available for the 2998, why should it be different for the next generations?...
    20220812_105813.jpg

(By the way.. . look at this lovely price... approx 60USD...!)

Edited Aug 12, 2022
  10. M'Bob Aug 12, 2022

I see your point, but that of course is an assumption, not evidence.

befobe likes this.
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 12, 2022

That is not an assumption. It is a fact. Every Speedmaster could be ordered with a different Bezel. Just ask the Factory/Museum.

gminnj likes this.
  12. M'Bob Aug 13, 2022

Okay then, let me re-phrase: I wasn’t intending to say his point was incorrect; I was saying that making the statement that it is a fact based on the knowledge that the previous generation had those bezel options, and thus the next iteration would, is not evidence that the next generation DID.

13. befobe Aug 13, 2022

You're right, under a pure mathematical logical view. According an historical point of view, I think you're wrong when you say there is a unique "correct" bezel for a 105003. And MWO confirms that. This idea is unacceptable for you?

gminnj and watchyouwant like this.
  14. M'Bob Aug 13, 2022

I don’t want to go down a cut-and-paste bickering rabbit hole with you, but please show me where I’ve said there is “a unique bezel for a 105003”?

In fact, based on what has been presented above, I have learned that there were other bezel options available. That’s what this forum is for, right, to get our points of view altered based on information from others who know more than we do in a particular area?

gminnj and watchyouwant like this.
  15. befobe Aug 13, 2022

I'm pleased to show that :p
    I translated these words in "unique correct bezel", but English is not my mother language, so I may surely learn something else here...
    Time to quit now... Let's go on another thread :cool:

16. ben_c_cardigan Sep 30, 2022

Hi, following on the above conversation. Do you guys know if the Speedmaster Mark IV can be fitted with an (original, or brand authentic) pulsometer bezel. I’m not a medical professional, but need to measure my heart rate on a regular base and really don’t like any smartwatches nor health trackers.

17. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 30, 2022

Welcome...

Perhaps open a new thread on this topic

watchyouwant likes this.