Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Sep 7, 2017

Hi guys,

Is a 105.012-66 CB midcase that had the facets polished off recoverable? Or is it now just the equivalent of a polished HF case?

Was just thinking about a few polished CB cases I have seen that underwent a bit too much time on the polishing wheel, and if the original shape could be recreated?

Thanks
    Ed

2. mr_yossarian Sep 7, 2017

Ed..that's crazy. You need to take off a lot of steel for that, the original shape can't be recovered by polishing the lugs down.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  3. EdtheAussie Sep 8, 2017

I thought as much :)

I guess a polished CB case is always going to be facetless.

I only asked as i saw this listing - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122681225623?ul_noapp=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

and have a nice looking 105.012 dial incoming which would put me close to piecing together a watch.

But I may just wait for a better looking mid-case.

4. vintagecaliber Sep 8, 2017

Well, actually it is possible to certain extent. You just need a guy who knows well how to use lapping machine.

Example:

s-l1600.jpg

EdtheAussie likes this.
  5. EdtheAussie Sep 8, 2017

Could material be added, then lapped off?

6. vintagecaliber Sep 8, 2017

Again - to a certain extent, normally only to fill deep scratches/dents etc. When lugs get their sharp facets back, it already looks better.
    Another thing to keep in mind is the price of such a devoted work...

EdtheAussie likes this.
  7. mr_yossarian Sep 8, 2017

When the shape is lapped to an HF curve, you will need to take material off the top of the lug, to what extend? When it's gone, it's gone, everything beyond that will substantially reduce the height and shape of the lug.

8. vintagecaliber Sep 8, 2017

I didn't say lapping machine = time machine :) I am just saying that it is possible. Sacrifice is something you have to face often in course of restoration process.