Forums Latest Members
  1. richardew Jan 30, 2014

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Omega-...987240408?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2ecbc5e7d8Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Can't tell if the person who relumed this dial was drunk or had the shakes from withdrawal. Although this dial is ugly as ugly can be, it's such an obvious example of a relumed dial that something can be learned from it. With some of the recent threads, it is sometimes hard to tell if a dial was relumed or just losing lume. On this one, the application of lume is uneven and the lines aren't quite straight. Plus, it displays how the relume looks like a little hill on the dial. As you examine lots of vintage dial photos, one thing that I look for is the break in the lume where it goes over the step of the dial. This is often lost when the dial is relumed.
    stepped dial.jpg

Varasc, JohnSteed and SpikiSpikester like this.
  2. TLIGuy Jan 30, 2014

I saw this one pop up and when I saw the pictures I didn't think drunk....I thought this....

image.jpg

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2014

Great Stuff....or "The Stuff"....

Are you eating it, or is it eating you....

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 30, 2014

Al - how difficult is it to remove the lume without damaging the dial?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 30, 2014

If you want to remove it, it will be very difficult to remove without damaging the dial. If you want it to stay in place, you just have to look at it and it will fall off...;)

On a more serious note, I don't relume dials, so I am not in the habit of removing lume. But really there is some truth to what I said above. Some lume is very fragile and if you touch it, it starts to crumble. Other dials appear to have the lume adhered well to the dial - it's quite variable and is really a case by case sort of thing.

Cheers, Al

6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 30, 2014

Honey, does this lume make my indices look fat?

M'Bob likes this.
  7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 30, 2014

Actually the owner ask his kindergarten daughter to do relume :) .
    Anyway thanks for illuminating the important features of 105.003 as reference (disimpan).

8. g-boac Jan 30, 2014

wrong bracelet and crown too!! If somebody HANDED this to me, for free, I would tell them to get this off my lawn!
    Clint Eastwood.jpg

Varasc and AuBuyer like this.
  9. JohnSteed Jan 30, 2014

Everyone submit $1 offers!

10. Unwound Jan 30, 2014

Fantastic example. Thanks for the above photo, really does show some of the nuances of 50+year old lume, no it is not perfectly laid down like todays
    production.

Is that Mold on the auction watch dial?