Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seamaster66 May 27, 2019

Just noticed a nice watch, but imo the Dial has been relumed...your thoughts are more than welcome (got the permission from seller)...got only this picture, thank you

Dial 105.003.jpg

2. sgrossma May 27, 2019

::popcorn::

3. ndgal May 27, 2019

Pretty tough to tell from just this one (bad) picture.

Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Swissmister May 27, 2019

I would need a closer look to be sure. Something about the hands looks very fresh for that era. If I had to make a call from that photo, I'd say the dial lum is original.

5. Dgercp May 27, 2019

If you want opinions that have meaning you need to get us more pics.
    Otherwise this is a wasted exercise IMO.

watchknut and Spacefruit like this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! May 28, 2019

Why do you think it has been relumed? Does the seller say so or is there a particular feature that persuades you of this. The photo isn’t good enough to judge so it may be better if you share your thinking. Irregular wobbly lume, or mismatched lume for instance isn’t unusual on an EW.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Patrik83 May 28, 2019

The chrono hand is relumed on this particular watch (see image below). I have seen additional images of it but have also asked the seller to provide additional more clear photos to determine. But as the chrono hand is relumed, my bet is that the whole thing has had the same treatment. However, more images are needed to be sure.

Screenshot 2019-05-28 at 13.34.47.png

Baz9614 and DotOverNine like this.
  8. Swissmister May 28, 2019

I believe all of the hands have been monkied with, but the indices are still not clear. There is a lack of depth, which would usually bring with it lack of color, unless they were painted vs re lumed with a very thin material, like paint. If they were painted, the work is excellent. This would require in-hand viewing with magnification for me to be sure. Either way, with hands re lumed, it's an attractive dial. (If all the imperfections in the close up photo are in the crystal and not the dial.

9. teojjsg May 28, 2019

Just curious, for a vintage speedmaster, how much value will be eroded by relume? Say like a job by James Hyman. Cause i find his job so nice and professional, i in fact prefer a dial done by him rather than a dial with mouldy patina.

10. Seamaster66 May 28, 2019

Thank you all for the comments.
    I knew the Chrono Hand was relumed (not nicely done), but for the rest I was not sure..
    He would try to shoot more pictures in the afternoon, so I will have to wait... I will post them in this thread.

11. Seamaster66 May 30, 2019

Just got the other pictures (only 2).
    Thank you in advance.... I am aware of the wrong brushed lugs..
    20190530112631.jpg 20190530112653.jpg

12. Swissmister May 30, 2019

My opinion from the photos provided: It's either original or re lumed well enough to appear original. Either way, the dial is attractive, and if it is re lumed, in my opinion, the decrease in value is negligible. It would have to be in hand with magnification to be sure. My experience with re lumed dials is that they are usually too perfect. This one is not too perfect. Could there be some artists out there making less perfect dials? Yes. It's also worth noting that the color of the patina is consistent with tritium vs the more orange/brown aged radium. Who would brush those lugs?

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2019

Mate as a watch dealer, and one we've had a number of problems with, there is an expectation that you do your own research and not farm out your job to the community.

eugeneandresson, Archer, Rman and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.