Forums Latest Members
  1. skipper Dec 20, 2018

Morning/Afternoon all,

I have a 105.003-65 that I've been trying to sauce a nice dial for. I've been looking on and off for about three years now and have turned up nowt. So, I really feel its time to put this one to bed, either sell off the parts, either separately or as a whole with modern service dial in place (just to make it easier/safer to transport), or 'build' my dream watch, a 2998-1/2/3. When I say my dream watch, obviously its going to be a homage/franken (insert whatever description you feel is most appropriate), but at least when I glance down at it on my wrist, then aesthetically I'd have the best looking Speedy staring back at me, well sort of... but you get the idea.

I have a lovely complete 321 movement from the '65, as well as a near mint DON, and a lovely sharp case back. The case itself is what lets the side down a bit, its been polished a few too many times for my liking, not terrible, but not nearly as nice as my '64 case.

So, I was thinking, send the parts to Simon Freese, and have him build the watch back up using a genuine Omega service Pre-Pro / AML dial and service Alpha hands etc, perhaps have him age the lume a bit, service it and bobs your uncle, I can actually make use of the thing instead of having it languishing in the parts box.

Thoughts? Not on originality obviously, it will be a franken/homage, we all know that, but more along the lines of will it work - dial / hand size v 105.003 etc etc. Would it be worth doing? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

red crowned likes this.
  2. bags1971 Dec 20, 2018

Dials do turn up on eBay when you start looking for one

earlier this year it took about a month for me to find one and was very reasonable

Mark020 likes this.
  3. hanky6 Dec 20, 2018

I think you should do a bobs your uncle. That way you can enjoy a really nice watch while looking for the correct parts.
    And dont rush it and buy parts that are almost right just to make it better, get the parts that you really want in a condition that is matching the other parts so you get something really nice in the end.
    I spent over 2 years looking for parts for a similar project, and although it was frustrating at the time the end result was really worth the wait in the end.

Any pics of what you have at the moment?

Vacherin likes this.
  4. skipper Dec 20, 2018

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I hear what you're saying and one part of me agrees wholeheartedly, but the thing that's nagging away in the back of my mind is the mid case/lugs - its been polished too much IMO. Doesn't look terrible, but this is never going to be a top notch example, even with the nice case back, DON and a decent dial. So... is it worth continuing with my hunt for a good dial, paying strong money for it (inevitably) but still having a mid grade piece (overall), or just go the other option and make myself a 2998. Or just sell the bits (and some other pieces) and just source a nice all original 2998?

I already have a very nice 105.003-64 which makes the bitsa 2998 a more attractive option, just not 100% sure yet in my mind that it would be a smooth/easy project, or even if its the 'right' thing to do from a vintage watch POV.

I'll try to dig out a pic of the case etc, though not sure how much value that will add to the debate, unfortunately it will always be over-polished!!!

5. toddle321 Dec 20, 2018

I went the bobs your uncle route with this one, although i used a relatively inexpensive 105.003 dial that I had relumed. Makes me smile every time I put it on

DD189B75-530F-44EA-80B1-86DDBE15FCF9.jpeg
    Om3ga321, robocaspar, murph and 12 others like this.
  6. boogedyboo Dec 20, 2018

I am not a huge fan of frankenwatches so I would wait around for a 105.003 dial. You can try putting up a WTB post once you reach 200 posts and see what you get.

As someone has mentioned, 105.003 dials to turn up every now and then. Even if it is beat-up, it can probably be relumed nicely by Simon Freese.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 20, 2018

For me, the problem with the bitsa approach is the hands. You can use modern hands and have them aged, but they're flat, not the same. It's very obvious when you see original hands compared to aged service replacements.

If you go full on 2998, then try to find proper alpha hands, not modern ones.. Else - for me at least - it would bring more sadness than pleasure when I looked at it.

The good news though is that these aesthetic modifications can be easily undone.

Good luck in your journey!

skipper likes this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 22, 2018

skipper, Seaborg, airansun and 3 others like this.
  9. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 22, 2018

@eugeneandresson beat me to it, I was suggesting to check ebay for 105.003 dials as this one is for sale at open auction at the moment. In fact, I listed it there.
    That’s the account I‘m managing for the watchdealer I‘m working with here in Frankfurt. If you @skipper have any questions about it let me know.
    I‘m always happy to help and open to answer any questions.
    For full disclosure: yes I have skin in this game, as I said, I manage this Dealers Ebay Account, take the pictures and write the listings.
    Before anyone PM‘s me please take note that we won’t end the auction early in fairness to everyone who‘s interested or who already bid on the item.

Cheers,

Max

Eve, skipper and Rolycoaster like this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 22, 2018

That is a fine looking dial to be fair...

11. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 22, 2018

Thank you :).
    To the OP‘s original question: I‘m not a big fan of „homages/Frankens“ but if it makes you happy and you have a usable watch that gives you joy if you take a glance at your wrist it beats a bag of parts in a drawer in my book.

skipper likes this.
  12. skipper Dec 23, 2018

Is that original or relumed? Looks very clean for an old dial. Just seen this, and it has 25 mins left to run... Decisions, decisions!

13. bags1971 Dec 23, 2018

Looks totally original to me

14. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 23, 2018

Here is a picture under UV, I have no Gaiger counter to check with but i‘m positive that it is original. Note that the dial was obviously still assembled when I took the picture.
    As I wrote in the item discription, the lume glows even under UV and after exposure quickly fades.
    Hope that helps,
    Cheers
    Max

5C2E264F-77E1-4AE9-9C85-B860E921739B.png

skipper likes this.
  15. skipper Dec 23, 2018

Went for 3000GBP, more than I thought... never mind, it gives me a better idea of what a good one will fetch.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  16. Steve1haggart Dec 23, 2018

I bailed out at £1900 at 3k little rich for my blood still a lovely dial .

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  17. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 23, 2018

To be honest I was more shocked that the tritium Hand set went for 880€. I would‘ve guessed 450-550€.

The dial is pretty stunning in person. The buyer will be quite happy, I hope.

Cheers,

Max

18. Vacherin Dec 23, 2018

I can't comment on the technicalities, but I would say it is worth building a nice eco system for the movement to run in. You are just going to have to accept it for what it is, forget it's past, think of it's future. So I'd be tempted to put it together with what you can get for now. As you say it can never be the collection of original parts that left the factory. It is getting easier to manufacture parts. Perhaps in a few years someone will develop a microwelding technique to sharpen up your case. I'm sure some are trying. Take it one step at a time. The parts are safer assembled in a working watch than in some draw.

skipper likes this.
  19. FREDMAYCOIN Dec 23, 2018

Why are these watches being dismantled? I don’t understand. Come on!

20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 23, 2018

Steve1haggart likes this.