Forums Latest Members
  1. stipo May 25, 2017

Hi, newbie Stipo here. I need a 19mm band for this watch, but I prefer a metal bracelet as was on it when I bought it.
    The original band was replaced in the early-mid 70s with a metal band from Omega (thru a jeweler in Columbia, MO, I believe). I still have that band but my son wore it in college and the ends as well as extra links are missing. I gotta big wrist at 8.25". Band is in great shape, just with the aforementioned problems. While I'd love to have an original again they're unavailable from Omega and from a couple prices I've seen on their metal bands they must be made of Unobtainium!!
    If any of you learned folk know offhand what quality band would service....or better still, have extra links and ends for MY band!! I'd love to hear from you.
    Thanks so much for your time and help.
    Steve
    Sorry to be so verbose but my wife says I oughtta tell you how I acquired the watch. Feel free to tune out right here!
    I was a freshman at University of Missouri in '69. One of my friends played golf one afternoon at the University course and found this watch! He needed a couple bucks, neither of us knew Omega was particularly $$, so I gave him the princely sum of $15...remember, I was a poor boy from a poor family... In a couple months my flute teacher took a shine to it and I counted myself quite the trader when I sold it to him for $25!!! It took me a year to buy it back for $50 after finding out what it COULD be worth. NOW it looks good, but I didn't have the $15, much less the $50! lol
    I wore it regularly. A pin popped out of the band, the watch went overboard into the lake and I caught it IN the water!! That was always a problem with it. Really hard with the weight to keep pins in it if there were any shock at all. I wonder how these watches the size of my dad's old wind-up Big Ben alarm clock keep 'em hooked on the wrist?
    Thanks again.

20170525_134307.jpg 20170525_134335.jpg
  2. Kja May 25, 2017

The links you need will probably cost $1000.. Do you realize what your watch is worth? Like as much as a used really nice car? Even your bracelet is worth more than a grand.

3. BenBagbag May 25, 2017

Just wanted to chime in to say great story, great watch!

4. bags1971 May 25, 2017

what a story mybe one day ill find one :)

5. cpl May 25, 2017

Amazing story, thanks.

6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia May 25, 2017

Silver rehaut. 4mm pushers? Might be a 105.002-62.

Dgercp, sky21, oddboy and 1 other person like this.
  7. stipo May 26, 2017

As an educated, but watch-ignorant Missouri farmer the last post reads to me as though it came from an Enigma machine! I laugh at myself here.
    May I ask what is the rehaut? Pushers I think I can find online...and hurrah! I do know what the digits are!

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 26, 2017

G'day Stipo,

What gemini4 is saying is that the outer ring (rehaut) on the inside of the crystal is silver. There are are various iterations of Speedmaster and they have either black or silver rings, depending on model/date/state of modification etc. Pushers of course are those little buttons either side of the crown.

You appear to have a very collectable Speedmaster and it would be in your best interests to learn a bit more about it before thinking of selling or trading, or even keeping.

An excellent resource is http://speedmaster101.com/

Hang in there and take your time.

PS: Maybe another Missouri good ole boy could chime in hey @UncleBuck?

9. stipo May 26, 2017

I've had a couple members offer to buy. After reading how I acquired the watch it has some small sentiment to both my son (32) and I. He actually quite the watch at Mizzou for a couple years....during which time the stem was lost, and since my wrists are much larger than he had links removed....and lost the band ends to boot! But it's all good. By that time I knew the watch was more $$ than a Timex...

10. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 26, 2017

My knowledge of Speedmasters can be summed up in one sentence:
    Speedmasters are historically remarkable, hysterically collectable and astronomically valuable!

Don't sell it, repair it, wind it up, get it wet or try to take it or the band apart for a good while.
    I'd spend some time on research, Jim gave you a good start, ask any questions or request any advice and your somewhat sentimental watch with a great story will probably grow into a family legacy and a great new hobby!

We have some fantastic Speedmaster experts here that will be glad to help out another Missourah boy .

M-I-Z !

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 27, 2017

12. stipo May 27, 2017

ZOU!

I already had Watch Repairs USA replace stem and winding knob. (I'm sure there's a more so
    It would be, but my band is more complete than this one, I believe

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 27, 2017

For the Spare links. ;)

14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 27, 2017

We call it a crown, @oddboy is a great source of knowledge, so I'm glad he has joined in!

By chance are you the great Tiger center, Stipo? If so, welcome Steve!

15. stipo May 27, 2017

Uncle Buck...it should be apparent to all that I don't have the "forum workings"completely sussed out....
    I was at...."stem

Lol....no, I am 65 but I watched his team from 4 rows off the floor behind Mizzou's 2nd- half backboard several times! I acquired the name during his reign at a weekly poker game and it sorta stuck. My REAL Nick is Rose...Lol
    Oddboy, thx. I'm gonna have to acclimate myself to the heady pricing structure b4 I can drop that kinda sugar for spare links! I'll be using piece of nylon webbing with a knot tied in it for a band. We Missouri boys are.....conservative....My wife calls it "tight
    "

oddboy likes this.