Forums Latest Members
  1. Jflcroft Nov 9, 2019

Hello everyone,

I hope this sort of post is allowed here - my first time posting. My grandfather left this watch to my father, my father died last year, and my mother moved house recently and found the watch. Apparently it is in exquisite condition with very little wear indeed - it is not something my grandfather would have used, knowing him. Link here.

It's described as follows by Chiswick Auction House, where it is at auction:

Model: Speedmaster
    Date: 18th August 1966
    Case reference: ST 105 003-65
    Movement: Signed, 17-Jewels, Cal.321, No. 24'004'447
    Dial: Signed, black, applied luminous batons, white outer minute division, white sword hands with luminous insert, centre seconds hand for chronograph with luminous insert, subsidiary dial for minute chronograph at the 3 o'clock position, subsidiary dial for hour chronograph at the 6 o'clock position, subsidiary dial for seconds at the 9 o'clock position, "T SIWSS MADE T" at the 6 o'clock position
    Case: Signed, brushed and polished stainless steel, straight lugs (last model produced with straight lugs), an extremely rare DON black bezel with silvered Tachymetre, screw down back with engraved seahorse logo, Speedmaster and Omega inscription
    Bracelet: Signed, brushed and polished stainless steel No.6, signed brushed and polished deployment clasp No. 7912 Size: 40mm
    Accompaniments: Extract from Omega Archives

Same model sold at Sotheby's, 19th July, Lot 43 without bracelet, for 12,500 USD

The extremely rare reference 105.003 was produce between 1964 and 1969.

Ed White became the first America to walk in the space as part of NASA's Gemini 4 mission wearing on his wrist the first watch in history to be officially certified and selected by NASA for its crews members and for EVA (extravehicular activity),being tested during Gemini missions and used by astronauts as Frank Borman, "Gordo" Cooper, Tom Stafford but the first ones that wore the famous Omega Speedmaster were Guss Grissom and John Young strapped to the outside of the sleeve of his G4C space suit.

During the 1960's, different brands proved to be qualified for space flights. Among them, there were Breitling, Rolex, Omega, Longines, and many more. Even Hamilton submitted a pocket watch but at the end, just three brands (Rolex, Omega and Longines-Wittnauer), all with mechanical hand-wound models, proved to be the successful candidates to go through the extreme conditions and tests for space flights, as follows:
    -High temperature: 48 hours at 160 °F (71 °C) followed by 30 minutes at 200 °F (93 °C)
    -Low temperature: Four hours at 0 °F (−18 °C)
    -Temperature cycling in near-vacuum: Fifteen cycles of heating to 160 °F (71 °C) for 45 minutes, followed by cooling to 0 °F (−18 °C) for 45 minutes at 10−6 atm
    -Humidity: 250 hours at temperatures between 68 °F (20 °C) and 160 °F (71 °C) at relative humidity of 95% -Oxygen environment: 100% oxygen at 0.35 atm and 71 °C for 48 hours
    -Shock: Six 11 ms 40 g shocks from different directions -Linear acceleration: from 1 to 7.25 g within 333 seconds
    -Low pressure: 90 minutes at 10−6 atm at 160 °F (71 °C), followed by 30 minutes at 200 °F (93 °C) -High pressure: 1.6 atm for one hour
    -Vibration: three cycles of 30 minutes vibration varying from 5 to 2000 Hz with minimum 8.8 g impulse
    -Acoustic noise: 30 minutes at 130 dB from 40 to 10,000 Hz

After all those extreme tests, in March 1965, the watch that prevailed was the Omega Speedmaster, which performed the best results with just a variation of 5 seconds per day rate.

Nowadays the Omega Speedmaster is one of the few watches qualified by NASA for spaceflight and is still the only one qualified for EVA (extravehicular activity).

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 9, 2019

Lengthy description which coincidently lacks the word “original”.
    Makes sense as the dial and hands appear relumed.
    If this watch has always been in your family, why is there no mention of this provenance by the auction house?

3. Dan S Nov 9, 2019

cheez.jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 5.52.35 PM.png

chronoboy64, KingCrouchy, kov and 4 others like this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 9, 2019

That’s a dial and hand relume or I will eat my hat. J Hyman’s work by the looks of it.

Edited Nov 10, 2019
  5. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Nov 9, 2019

EE7B8C47-0FA4-4F60-9E07-7C8C61D44D62.gif

Edited Nov 9, 2019
  6. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 9, 2019

The orange texture indicates a different flavor.
    CDC786B5-94A1-4735-ABA0-ADBE3A61DCA0.jpeg

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 9, 2019

This reminds me of when a casual luxury car owner visits our local Porsche forum to advertise their 911 that is for sale, and their 'ad' is all CraigsList fodder intended to impress those that know nothing about 911s. I'm not so sure OF members needs to see a dissertation on the history of Ed Whites.

You want to get any interest here? Then post relevant stuff like the actual condition of the movement, dial, hands, case, etc.

And you can skip the listing of results of other auctions for similar models, as the condition is what matters, not BS like "one sold last year for $15k so you will really want to pay that -- or more -- for the one I am offering which is nowhere near the same condition!!!!win!!!!!!"

Mark020, skipper, chronos and 4 others like this.
  8. Jflcroft Nov 9, 2019

I honestly don't know anything about watches at all. I have never owned a vintage watch of any kind. I posted what the auction house wrote (after a professional examined the watch) because I have no knowledge whatsoever of my own. Nor do I know anything about this forum or the sort of information which would be useful to people here - all the information I have is in the listing.

I understand that enthusiast communities are protective about their expertise, but there is no need to be rude. I have removed the offending post and will be deleting my account on this site.

Edited Nov 9, 2019
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 9, 2019

Damn! Missed it by three minutes.

:(

10. Dan S Nov 9, 2019

I'm sure it's still listed at the auction house ... whose name I can't remember unfortunately. :oops:

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 9, 2019

Chiswick Auction House

Thread reverted.

This isn't license for people to act immaturely, so lay off on the memes and nonsense but a sensible discussion of the merits or issues of the piece is reasonable given the thread was initially created with the intention of stirring bids.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 9, 2019

We can be cynical here sometimes since many new members outright lie about what they post. Many of us as you will find are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. This is the online home of the top vintage omega experts in the world including many who literally wrote the book(s).

The 105.003 is a relatively common cal. 321 speedy model and as has been pointed out here the relume hurts the value - it is not only obvious but the color and the granular look are both wrong.

13. alam Nov 10, 2019

Regardless of the observations by our more experienced-collectors regarding the apparent and undisclosed dial/hands relume, I must say [to my own eyes] it's a good looking watch plus its case appears to be in a very sharp condition. I'm sure someone will buy the watch regardless its obvious flaws wrt originality. It goes with the individual concept of how-much-is-it worth to you..

and here are some pics from the auction house...

:coffee:

Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 2.35.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 2.35.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 2.34.59 PM.png
    Traveler, nonuffinkbloke and Mad Dog like this.
  14. ejj Nov 10, 2019

Good looking case. The hand lume looks too clean and uniform. Does not fit the age of the watch. I haven’t looked at these watches enough to comment on the dial lume, but it also looks too clean and uniform for the age. Good luck!

15. Om3ga321 Nov 10, 2019

There seems to be a lot of grime on the case and bracelet for this watch not to have been worn a lot.I've never seen that lume colour on a 105.003 before.I'd say relumed.

nkb likes this.
  16. BDHD Nov 12, 2019

A little bit much lume I would say, Omega hour markers do not turn yellow very often. Is rare to see that

17. t_swiss_t Nov 12, 2019

More curious about the possible Hyman relume ... haven't seen any in person but looking at a few pictures of his work, it seems like he's more exacting that the lume application on this example. Not that the wolf in sheep's clothing is a sheep, but the lume application doesn't seem far off from other Eds. Any chance the coloration of the pictures is oddly enhanced?

Hyman's work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bazamu, DManzaluni and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  18. Dreamboat10 Nov 13, 2019

Don’t believe it’s my work guys

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 13, 2019

An expert opinion. Would you agree it looks redone?

20. Dreamboat10 Nov 13, 2019

Never easy to tell unless you get better pics and uncased, colour could be saturated......I wouldn’t like to say either way bud