Forums Latest Members
  1. WatchVaultNYC Jul 5, 2016

So, I got myself a 105.003 for personal use. My daily driver Speedy is a sentimental 3592.50 (worn on my wedding) so that gets most of my Speedy wrist time. I have been trying to work to get another Speedy into my rotation so I've been working backwards, 1971, 1969, all great watches but the step dial was not enough to differentiate it from my 3592. So I got myself this watch.

Yes it does wear differently. If the modern Speedy is a broad shouldered foodtball player, the straight-lug is a cyclist - leaner with a bigger head. So there's hope that I actually wear this instead of sell it off.

So on to the watch. I think it's far from the best example, but like I said previously, I don't want it too pretty, because it's supposed to be worn regularly. At first blush, here's what I noticed:

- case over-prepped. Not sure if there are supposed to be bevels on the lugs. Frequent time on the wrist should fix the too-shiny issue.
    - dial seems correct, though the co-centric circles on the subdials are really faint.
    - indices turning mossy. Sold a vintage SM300 cheap because I didn't like mossy indices.
    - DON bezel is turning a charming grey
    - serial number is a bit off, 1966 says Speedmaster101, but I think this is still OK. Pushers work smoother than a modern 861. Column wheel?
    - 1035 bracelet is period-correct, but 516 end-links off by a year. The end links also a bit loose. Because of the case?
    - Crown is likely replacement and not period-correct, but not sure about the pushers.

What else do you see?

dial.JPG back2.JPG back.JPG mvmt.JPG clasp.JPG crown.JPG
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 5, 2016

516 end links shaved down from 20mm to fit your watch.

Pushers look wide.

kov and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  3. WatchVaultNYC Jul 5, 2016

Put it on a strap and loving it. 90% sure this is a keeper, so goodbye '71 and '69 Speedies.

Other things I noticed - clasp say bracelet is '68. Faded bezel is really nice, when placed next to my modern Speedy. Timegrapher readings are pretty good for a watch this old (+21s/d), but per a thread @Archer posted in a while back, watches with hard to find parts should get preventive maintenance, so that's what I will probably do.

Re: correct crown and pushers - can I find new (correct) replacements, or am I going to have to find them used?

Edited Jul 5, 2016
  4. Fost Jul 5, 2016

The hesalite is original to the watch also...

Keep it and Wear it in good health!!

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  5. Davidt Jul 5, 2016

Some of these 105.003's do have high serials. Mine is 24.9xx xxx, produced in '67. I think yours is fine. A 1035 is also correct for a late model such as this, but obviously the end pieces are incorrect. They've probably been cut down to fit.

The subdial circles can also be harder to see on these.

These -65 cases definitely have bevels on the lugs, although they're often polished away. I think the bevels on the -65's are different to those on the -63/4.

Correct replacement pushers are available new. I can't quite tell for sure whether a yours are correct.

Here's an unpolished lug.
    image.jpg

JohnSteed and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  6. WatchVaultNYC Jul 5, 2016

Oh yes, this will get worn a lot :)

7. WatchVaultNYC Jul 5, 2016

Looks like the one on my FOIS *sigh*

Can the lug be cut down to get the bevel again? Bad idea? Laser weld thingee instead?

8. Davidt Jul 5, 2016

Case can be re-polished/cut, just depends on how much metal has already been removed and who's doing the work.
    If it's lost a good bit already and someone who's ham fisted has a go, it could well ruin it.
    However, it's its not too bad initially, and someone who's knows what they're doing refinishes the case, it may be a vast improvment.

IMO a lot of these straight lug case that have been refinished don't look right. They are too sharp and the bevel too wide.

Don't forget that even if the case is re worked to factory spec, it won't look right against a worn dial, hand set, case back and bezel. If everything fits in its current condition, it might be better to leave it as-is.

al128 and Dgercp like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 5, 2016

This is a good buy - especially for the purpose of actually wearing the watch!
    The dial and handset look good together, and the bezel too. I think the plots are ok - a bit dirty, but original. Original 003's can have much worse, with the lume all over the place like a three year old painted them.
    I suspect the watch looks much better than the first photo. Much.
    Pushers need investigation. they could be originals, but they do not seem a familiar look to me, could they be bestfit?
    In any event I would change them, and the crystal on service, which I think is needed now.
    The movement has seen a few screwdrivers, but this is not uncommon, and a decent workshop may replace some of the the more obviously damaged screws.
    I agree the case is no worry. These are vintage tool watches. Any laser case work will ruin it and you will end up with something like the 2915 sold in last decembers Christies auction.
    Good find.
    By the way www.sp101.net puts this serial 2445xxxx well within range for a 105.003-65. http://speedmaster101.com/serial-quick-reference-to-78/

10. WatchVaultNYC Jul 5, 2016

OK I completely get it now. The simpler geometric shape esp the barrel shaped case is almost steampunk cool in its look vs the modern asymmetric case.

[​IMG]

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 5, 2016

Looks nice! A pic in the sunlight would be appreciated!

I think the part number for pushers is 086ST0059, but there seems to be conflicting thoughts on whether 105.003 cases come with press in or screw in pushers... I think both are commonly accepted.

Is the serial bridge a different colour from the other parts or is that a trick of the light?

Edit: d'oh cross posted with the sunlight pic. Looks awesome!

Edit2, don't recut the lugs. They look good to me.

12. JohnSteed Jul 5, 2016

Done n Dusted. Nice :thumbsup:

Congrats n ENJOY

demollo likes this.
  13. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 6, 2016

Those look so good, congrats. Love the comparison with sportsmen :)

I definitely need to find myself a nice Ed White ::facepalm2::

14. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Jul 6, 2016

Ed's were made to be woren , not to sit in a safe, all the dings and scratches you get will be called patina and valued....

15. JohnSteed Jul 6, 2016

Yup. Exactly ::rimshot::

16. incabloc Jul 6, 2016

yep...thats what I'm doing with my Ed...it is the vintage watch with the most wrist time.
    IMG_1092.JPG View attachment 258207

IMG_1373.JPG
    lando, ahartfie, GregH and 5 others like this.
  17. Maybe Jul 6, 2016

Wear it in good health, Ed would approve!

18. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

Nice catch. Don't do anything on the lugs. the lug width is 19mm am I right? I think I have a 19mm bracelet somwhere if you are interested.

19. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 7, 2016

When I get brave enough to buy myself an early Speedy I'll be looking for something like this - in honest condition for age and a watch that can be worn daily without worrying all the time about it getting bashed!

20. littlesheep81 Jul 7, 2016

Nice! I was thinking about chickening out and getting a brand new FOIS for a daily beater... Now am reconsidering again since this looks great !