Forums Latest Members
  1. Oku Aug 21, 2020

Dear OF members,

the time has come to celebrate my 1000th post!

For some members, this is their usual post count in one month, for me it has been a more than 4 years long journey on OF. So initially, I thought that I would never reach this milestone!

I am pretty sure that I joined OF earlier than 2016 with another account, but I was only sporadicly here and forgot the user name over time. So I had to create this new account in 2016 when I needed some help with a project watch. This time, I regularly returned and participated in this great community. About a year later, at the end of 2017, I learned about the Swiss cheese world domination from our dear member @styggpyggeno1. I was overwhelmed by his knowledge and also his bravery to talk about this chapter in Swiss history! Investigating the secret steps of the Swiss can be dangerous!

A few weeks before, I heard about the chocolate conspiracy and hoped that he knew more of it. Certainly he does but when I asked, he refused to talk about it. During the next weeks and months, the chocolate conspiracy badgered me. I felt I was after something and sometimes I had the impression something was after me… But I did not give up. Was it really that big that it seemed? So I did my own research.

As you all know chocolate is made of cacao seeds of the cacao tree.
    kakaobaum-heilpflanze.jpg 76440622-카카오-열매-원시-카카오-콩-나무-배경에-코코아-콩깍지-.jpg

History books tell us that chocolate has been prepared as a drink since about 1900 BC in the Mexican region and that cacao beans have served as a currency (!). In 1502, Christopher Columbus encountered cacao beans and brought them to Europe. Shortly after that, the cacao drink became popular among not only the Spanish aristocracy when sugar and honey was added to the bitter pure chocolate liquid.

Everybody can read about this history so far. It was during the cold war in the 1950ies, when a famous photo journalist who reported WWII got wind of a top secret mission. Let’s call her Lizzy. She was a former model and took photos during and after WWII. In particular after WWII, she travelled across Germany and documented the destroyed country. Only little is known of her travels to Switzerland that she visited in 1945.

As we all know the foundation of Switzerland dates back to 1291 when the Rütlischwur took place between Wilhelm Tell von Ure, Stouffacher von Schwytz and Erni von Underwalden, the three Fürsts of the founding cantons Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden.
    ruetli-schwur.jpg

The following decades, several other cantons followed and the modern Switzerland existed since then. About 300 years before that date, Eric the Red committed murder and had to flee from Iceland.
    Eiriksstadir-2-800px.jpg

As a result, he discovered Greenland and founded a colony which grew to the size of about 20000 Vikings during the years. But Greenland could not nourish so many people. Hence, the Vikings hunted whales, seals, and also polar bears. The son of Eric the Red, Leif Eriksson, travelled across the sea to explore hunting grounds and finally found Newfoundland and the American continent.
    Ancient-Viking-settlement.jpg
    From that place, a vivid trading was established between the Vikings and the southern regions of America.

During her visits of Switzerland, Lizzy talked to many Swiss people and found some worrying hints. She also realized that the Vikings found America long before Columbus did and that the Swiss had a strange foundation myth. In fact, Switzerland was inhabited by Celts, Helvetians and Lepontii long before Caesar conquered the country. The oldest known settlements are dated to around 5300 BC!

So Lizzy felt, something was wrong. When she visited Geneva, she got acquainted with a young watchmaker from Omega who served as a time keeper during the Olympic games in 1936 in Berlin. Lizzy couldn’t believe what this guy told her. Back in Germany, she started her intense research. She found a connection between Switzerland and the northern European countries. This connection is rather old, just think of the Danish-Swiss Jürgensen family (Jürgen, Urban, Jules)… What if all we know about cacao was wrong? What if the Swiss had a plan to rule the whole world and started with their plan centuries ago? Nowadays, Switzerland is one of the most powerful chocolate countries of the world. Swiss people outperform inhabitants of all other nations concerning the per capita wealth by far. So Lizzy was intrigued. But then, suddenly, she married, settled down, and became a baby. Officially, she fell ill suffering from a post-traumatic stress disorder due to her experiences during WWII, began to drink and finally died in 1977. But it’s up to you to believe if this was really the truth…

The young watchmaker of Omega became scared and never spoke to somebody about what he revealed to Lizzy. In the 1950ies, he became involved in the development of a new chronograph. In particular, he was responsible for the production of the dial. Thinking of what happened to Lizzy tortured him. So he thought about what he can do. On the one hand, he did not want to draw attention to himself, but on the other hand he wanted to tell the world what really happened. So he decided to incorporate a hint to the world into the watch he developed. For this, he manipulated the mixture of paint and lacquer of the dial. Nobody could realize what he did until after several years and decades the dials gained a brown colour, the so-called chocolate dials!
    Omega-Speedmaster-CK-2915-3-Tropical-9062.jpg
    In the beginning of the 1970ies, the first dials turned chocolate. Two young journalists of the Washington Post became aware of that strange effect and started an investigation. They quickly traced the change in colour back to the watchmaker. But suddenly, they got side-tracked by a big scandal in 1972. After the revelation of the scandal, they never got back to the chocolate conspiracy. The power of the Swiss was too much for them. You can only imagine that power when looking at the year 1662, when Pope Alexander VII declared that drinking chocolate does not break religious fasts! The small chocolate producing country has more influence than you can imagine!

Only recently, the whole truth of the chocolate conspiracy has been revealed. And I will now tell it exclusively to you in my next post because someone is ringing at my door. One moment please!

2. Oku Aug 21, 2020

upload_2020-8-22_3-25-40.png
    Ok, here I am back again! Where did I stop? Ah yes. So many thanks for letting me join the forum for more than 4 years now and for standing my dumb questions and stupid jokes!

I have to leave now, the guys at the door are waiting for me!
    Matrix_Agents.jpg

WatchCor likes this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 22, 2020

No offence ;), but I drifted off to sleep while reading this last night. Powering up the iPad this morning I thought I’d continue reading whatever it was I was working on the night before. “What the hell was I reading?” “Is this the new Fratello article? It seems odd”. Scroll up to see where this article started... ah yes the 1000 post celebration ::bleh::

janice&fred likes this.
  4. RI Omega Fan Aug 22, 2020

The kids call that TLDR. Google it - I had to.

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 22, 2020

Had to google it too :) Thanks Thurston ;)

6. time flies Aug 22, 2020

something about chocolate? 20180922_112949.jpg

Eat more chocolate so I can buy more watches.

have fun
    kfw

7. janice&fred Aug 22, 2020

Judging purely by the length of the post, there should be no mystery why it took so long to reach this milestone :D

DaveK likes this.
  8. Walrus Aug 22, 2020

I like the history of Switzerland part