Forums Latest Members
  1. LemansBoiler Dec 14, 2019

For the last decade, this time of the year has been a little more cheerful than I can ever remember before. Ten years ago, Wednesday, I went into the hospital with acute myeloid leukemia and nearly died, I was twenty-five at the time. I won’t go into the details, but I will say it’s changed my life for the better. My relationship with my wife, my friends, and my family is greatly improved since then and through the miracle of modern science, doctors have been able to give us two beautiful kids.

During my stay in the hospital, I was in a medicated coma during Christmas and my outlook looked bleak. Still, my wife knew how fond of watches I was and bought me a Christmas present for when I woke up. It’s been such a treasure of mine, I’ve beaten the hell out of it and will pay whatever it takes to keeps it running (notice the broken link on the bracelet, still working on how to replace this without sending it back to Skagen, they say they’ll just send me a new watch).

8ED0E030-B81F-40CC-AE63-51AEE9579649.jpeg

Fast forward ten years and my wife did it again! I’ve had my eye on the Cal 11 Monaco for as long as I can remember and she made that dream a reality this week.

61CA0689-2613-4703-82B9-7D28FD853A38.jpeg

97FF8374-C378-4522-87A5-EABE76C5492F.jpeg

Today was my first full day wearing it and I wasn’t disappointed. The legibility of it is nowhere near my other Swiss watches, but I just love the look so much, I couldn’t care less.

61D9E59F-BC6A-43D0-AD25-C64102B75087.jpeg

Togri v. 2.0, Longbow, Socks and 44 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 14, 2019

Great story. My thoughts are with you and your family. On the Skagen ... is that an integral bracelet? Can it be removed?

LemansBoiler and airansun like this.
  3. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 14, 2019

Wow! Life’s a bumpy ride; you absolutely deserve peaks at least as high as the valleys have been low.

Those watches are great, but your wife is a keeper for sure.

Have wonderful Holidays this time around. :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 14, 2019
    Syrte, DaveK, Vitezi and 1 other person like this.
  4. janice&fred Dec 14, 2019

I would suggest letting a jeweler play with the sentimental keepsake Skagen as he may be able to at least do something with the wires sticking out so no one gets hurt wearing the thing or touching it.

best of health to you and your family and all the best!

DaveK, Larry S and LemansBoiler like this.
  5. LemansBoiler Dec 14, 2019

Luckily, it’s not integrated. I just need to find the right metal. The watch says it is titanium, but based on the Skagen website, I suspect it may actually be a charcoal steel bracelet.

image.jpg

That’s a good idea. I only wear it with short sleeves lately, as it tends to catch my shirt cuffs.

6. EdtheAussie Dec 14, 2019

Awesome to hear you're 10 years into remission mate!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 14, 2019

The shop I use could definitely figure something out.

8. Walrus Dec 14, 2019

Great story here is to the next ten years “and more” in remission. Tell your wife I just got over a bad cold I’m sure that is worth at least a timex for me.

DaveK and LemansBoiler like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 14, 2019

@LemansBoiler ... just google “replacement bracelets skagen “ Amazon even has em. Of course you need to see what’s under those end links and measure.

LemansBoiler likes this.
  10. NYCwatchgal Dec 14, 2019

Such a heart-warming story.

Enjoy every moment with loved ones and friends. Wishing you and your family a healthy holiday, New Year and many years to come!

LemansBoiler likes this.
  11. zinengineer Dec 14, 2019

great story and congratulations - remember to reciprocate with your wife (I'm sure you do!!). Figure out a way to fix the Skagen and keep it forever, hand down to one of your kids

PS - I've got my eye on the same Monaco, cool looking watch

LemansBoiler likes this.
  12. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 14, 2019

Wonderful news ten years on. :thumbsup:

Sadly we lost my mom to the same type of leukemia a couple years ago. She was a fighter and at 86 was in her fourth clinical trial at USC Norris.

DaveK likes this.
  13. Joe_A Dec 14, 2019

@LemansBoiler

Yours is the kind of story we all are warmed to read about.

I hope the remainder of the holiday season is just as fine and satisfying as it has been for you so far.

My brother-in-law Steve celebrated his tenth anniversary clear of AML as well earllier this year. He too was near death when it turned out that one of his sisters was a near-perfect match for a bone marrow transplant. While he will have to take anti-rejection medication for the remainder of his days, he's doing fine as well . . . and loving life.

Cheers,

~ Joe

14. LemansBoiler Dec 14, 2019

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 15, 2019

Congrats on 10 years of remission, and wishing you many more. I'm now a little more than 5 years on since a near fatal MI, so I can understand how you feel. Every day here on this planet is a good one...

Cheers, Al

LemansBoiler and allwoundup like this.
  16. MPWATCH Watch Lover Dec 15, 2019

Powerful post.... Thankful for every tick of every day

Best,

Thomas

LemansBoiler likes this.