Forums Latest Members

007, Apollo 13, Newman, McQueen - props & costumes auction

1. queriver Nov 1, 2020

Later this month there is an an online auction of movie props and costumes including a number of really cool things from about 8 Bond movies, starting with Dr No. There are costumes, but no watches, from Steve McQueen and Paul Newman movies, and a miniature Saturn V rocket engine prop from the Apollo 13 movie.

https://profilesinhistory.com/auctions/the-icons-legends-of-hollywood-auction-120/

The highlight is Honey Ryder's bikini from Dr No with the auctioneer's estimate just a snip at $300-500K (Lot 291)

[​IMG]

The catalogue is worth downloading even if you have no interest in this type of paraphernalia because of the many photos and descriptions of movies from the 1920's to the very recent. I know some people here collect vintage cameras - there are also Bell & Howell motion picture cameras from the 1910s and '20s.

The 007 movie items run from Lot 249-270, except above bikini.

Pictures of a few of the around 1000 items in total:

1. No description needed for this one:-

[​IMG]

2. Little Nellie from You Only Live Twice:-
    [​IMG]

3. Solitaire's psychic outfit from Live and Let Die:-

[​IMG]

4. Sean Connery's (RIP) Walther P5 pistol from Never Say Never Again:-
    [​IMG]

5. Saturn V Rocketdyne F-1 first stage miniature rocket engine from Apollo 13:-

38x18x18 inches and could be part of a display for anyone who likes to collect Apollo-related memorabilia. Estimate $1000-1500. If anyone on OF gets this please post some photos for us showing it as part of your display.
    [​IMG]

The only horological item I found (there may be others) is a Tiffany mechanical clock, lot 998, belonging to Ted Knight. Estimate $200-300, if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]
    BTW - I have no interest in the auction house or any of the Lots being offered for sale. I'd love to have some of the 007 items and the Apollo 13 engine, if only my pockets were deeper.

2. Professor Nov 1, 2020

Similar to the "Man from U.N.C.L.E" modified Walther P-38 pistols.

Funny true story.
    A Cousin was driving down a dirt road years ago and saw a guy in a flight suit with a broken arm trudging down the road. He of course stopped to help. The guy told him his autogyro had an engine failure and he had crashed in the top of a tree nearby.
    The guy told him that if my cousin could get it out of the tree he could have it. My cousin finally salvaged the autogyro and took it home. The engine was badly messed up. He never got it running again though he did a few tethered flights having the contraption towed behind a truck to auto rotate.

Before he could order a new engine his wife spotted the thing in the garage and threatened to divorce him if he didn't get rid of it.
    I saw the Autogyro in his garage and it looked just like Little Nelly except no rockets and painted silver. Not sure but I think the fuselage was a bit longer, perhaps a two seater.

Edited Nov 1, 2020
    queriver and Dash1 like this.
  3. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2020

Interesting. That type of belt as well as brass buckle etc. is the exact same as the Danish military used for years as a part of the soldier's personal carrying system. Today the belt is typically used for parades (painted white as above or the base green/khaki) or as I do, as a trouser belt in my daily uniform.

upload_2020-11-1_13-9-54.png

4. M'Bob Nov 1, 2020

Wow. Thanks for killing one of my favorite childhood images with that interesting bit of arcana :)

queriver likes this.
  5. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2020

As far as I know, the bikini wasn't part of any uniform systems - that part of the outfit I will leave unsullied for you :)

M'Bob and queriver like this.
  6. queriver Nov 1, 2020

The catalogue says it is a replica British Army web belt and the scabbard is US military. We had the same type of web belt in army cadets in Australia but we also didn't wear it with a bikini even though it's warmer here than Denmark.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal Nov 1, 2020

I’ve known a few GI’s where the bikini was indeed part of their uniform- although don’t ask don’t tell :rolleyes:

8. queriver Nov 1, 2020

Klinger's not shy but unfortunately this auction doesn't have any of his uniforms.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JwRosenthal and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Nov 1, 2020

That makes perfect sense since a lot of gear we used post WWII was identical to the British issued stuff.

dk-m44-bælte-1.jpg

s-l960.jpg

queriver likes this.