Forums Latest Members

❅ Types of Watch Guys & Gals ❅

1. ViaAppia May 30, 2016

The What's This Do???
    Only wears chronographs, usually Breitlings. Take's him three tries to get the functions going, can't explain any of the writing but swears he uses them when he takes the ferry and flies commercial. (Many times a subcategory as the previously stated HODINKIST)

BIG WRIST little d%#*
    Won't wear it unless it's 48mm or more, usually half your size but has "big wrists proportionally" (rolls eyes), comments on everybody else's watches possibly being women's watches, tucks his sleeves into his watch, even jacket sleeves -- especially for photos.

COMES FROM A GREAT WATCH CLAN
    Only has watches his grandfather, father, long lost siamese uncle gave him from when they were 4 year old bankers in the great rolling plains of south london... until you see their ebay account and find out they bought it from a guy in Argentina last week.

2. gostang9 May 30, 2016

Grand WATCHMASTER PROFESSIONAL LE
    Beyond having a great appreciation for precision timepieces, they often spend hours documenting and explaining intricate technical points and step-by-step elements of servicing watches. Time and time again they prove to be an extremely valuable resource for teaching the lesser members of OF and slowly expanding their understanding. They share openly what they know and often go to great lengths to answer honest questions asked with good intentions, but let an unscrupulous agent or flaky poser show up with poorly worded questions showing disregard for the passionate social order of watch afficienados, and they have been known to brandish punishing rebukes that quickly put a stop to any nonsense.

lindo, janice&fred, larryganz and 6 others like this.
  3. cristos71 May 30, 2016

The Wise Old Hand

Has just about every 4 digit Omega reference that ever existed, most of them in multiples, and all of them bought in the low to middling three figures more than a decade ago. Still quite can't believe that a single number 6 end link today costs the same as a 2998 did back when he started buying up dem old Speedmasters in 1995. Not so active on the collecting scene anymore due to an unexpectedly early retirement on the Caribbean islands

4. watchdaddy1 May 30, 2016

The buys what he likes guy

5. watchdaddy1 May 30, 2016

That's me 2

[​IMG]

6. gostang9 May 30, 2016

The GREAT "ONE"
    Somehow manages to avoid the common trap of becoming a collector of many varied timepieces and maintains in their posession only 1 quality watch that is worn daily and never rotated as there are no others to rotate with. Much like the mythological unicorn, on some level we like to believe it exists and there is an aspect of it that is appealing, yet none of us have seen one.

YYTIN, Speedmasterfan88, Eve and 13 others like this.
  7. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 30, 2016

I don't watch much TV (too busy dorking around with other stuff) so, no, I haven't watched (or heard of) Thunderbirds until now. I did click on the link that you provided and viewed the characters...I will say that I like their hats...very 'hatty' hats. :thumbsup:

noelekal and STANDY like this.
  8. wristpirate May 30, 2016

The It Was 20% Cheaper Last Year Guy
    Can't bring himself to pull the trigger on a model which he missed out on a year ago and is now trading 20% higher (insert whichever percentage depending on your chosen hot brand). Instead starts focusing on other models/brands knowing they have risen too but at least he didn't see how much they were in the past.

Edited May 30, 2016
  9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 30, 2016

M'Bob, noelekal, STANDY and 8 others like this.
  10. wristpirate May 30, 2016

The Scatter Gun Guy
    Also known in some nations as "Sawn-Off Guy". Each of his watches is from a different brand. No two have the same name on the dial.

noelekal, STANDY and Mad Dog like this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

The I'm not buying anything except for that £10K *insert brand here* watch. And even though I don't own a watch yet, my theoretical watch is 100 times better than the watches you have, because it costs £10k, guy.

I come across these a lot...

lindo, noelekal, STANDY and 4 others like this.
  12. nlogax May 30, 2016

You must work in the City :D

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

I do... A sub category of this guy is the:

My watch is better than yours guy.

It doesn't matter which watch you happen to be wearing, his is better. There is no logic, no discussion, he has no interest in you, or anyone. He's just kind of a big deal. And so is his watch.

YYTIN, lindo, janice&fred and 9 others like this.
  14. ICONO May 30, 2016

The Vertically Challenged Alpha Male

Built on bijoux lines, with, perhaps, a tendency, to dramatically overcompensate, ( careless display of wealth / name dropping ), when seeking approval, & acceptance, .....masking true views, with either a persona of boyish insouciance, or barely concealed ill temper

Incidentally, & entirely unrelatedly.......Robert Downey Junior is 5' 8" tall

STANDY and Riviera Paradise like this.
  15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 30, 2016

t7dsa.jpg

16. wristpirate Jun 24, 2016

The BUMP Guy

Kmart, Longbow, Jwit and 10 others like this.
  17. M'Bob Dec 22, 2016

The Existential Angst Guy:

Finds a watch he likes, buys it, straps it on his wrist, gets 15 seconds of joy, and then sighs and internally ponders what the point of the whole thing was, and then what the point of life is.

lindo, heavenscloud, Jwit and 5 others like this.
  18. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Dec 22, 2016

What's wrong with palladium? :)

image.jpg
  19. Longbow Dec 22, 2016

I see you have met my colleague. He fits this description 200% :D.

STANDY and Riviera Paradise like this.
  20. Longbow Dec 23, 2016

The sudoku
    Or the man with a plan.
    Often confused with the Addict.

1) Is in confirmation bias remission:
    Grudgingly accepts that the game can be played outside the Omega sphere....buttheremustbearareomegathati'vemissedsomewhere.
    2) Suffers from cognitive dissonance: I can complete this game vs I will be broke before I complete this game.
    3) Cannot move on until the game is over.
    4) Adhears strictly to the arbitrary rules
    Gold, steel, bronze...titanium!
    Seamaster, Speedmaster, Globemaster...Railmaster!
    Date, Day-Date, Triple-Date....no date!
    Absolutely hates duplication, never sells (see 3).
    Now where is that manual wind, titanium cased 41mm Railmaster GMT, no Date Rattrapante?

Jwit, noelekal, STANDY and 4 others like this.