“Poor” 2998-? ebay auction

I am sure a few here followed this one. (Maybe someone here even bought it?) This is certainly what SP101 would call poor; missing parts, wrong parts, decayed dial, no movement shot, no inside caseback photo, and to top it off a zero feedback seller. I was a watcher, not a bidder on this one.

What is it? No movement picture makes it really hard to tell.

Dial looks like an A5 low Swiss Made. Hands don’t give much of a clue except maybe the one remaining sub dial hand which makes me think a 2998-5 making the basic assumption that it is indeed a 2998 model as the seller states. Yes, could be a 6, the subdial could be a replacement so could be anything. The chrono hand looks like the straight chrono that followed the lollipop but it is too short to be original so can’t base it on that was my thinking, but still made me lean towards a -5.

I think we will see it offered as parts from Speedmeister or similar. Let’s assume you, the reader, was to buy this. Would you have bought this for the parts or to try to rebuild an inexpensive wearable 2998? Not sure that dial can ever look good again.

I “think” the parts value (dial, bezel, midcase, movement) exceeds the cost but that depends on the movement and what the case really is.

And what is up with the caseback? No bevel that I can see, weird inner ring marks like it had an inscription taken off.

Anyhow, I like more Speedmaster discussions so am just curious to your thoughts on it. After taxes it will come in between $5215-$5700 so a bit below the “Poor” level $6000 on SP101
IMG_7878.png IMG_7879.jpeg IMG_7880.jpeg IMG_7881.jpeg IMG_7882.jpeg

Like 1
Wrong Pushers, Wrong case back - bad dial
I do wonder what the buyer thinks he will end up with - I hope someone here bought it, I would love to see it post service

Like 7
It's the kind of watch that makes me hope someone knowledgable, fully aware of what it is, bought it for the parts, which, as mentioned, do have value.

It's also the kind of watch that I'm afraid might get bought by a novice who's hoping for a "cheap" way into a 2998, about to learn an expensive lesson.

Like 3
Wow.

A zero feedback seller.

Oh dear - that would not make me feel good

Like 2
Wow.

A zero feedback seller.

Oh dear - that would not make me feel good
The only thing that would give me hope was their other listings, all ended around the same time and photos were from the same source.

IMG_7883.png

I reached out to the seller to get pics of the case back and the movement. The case back is that of a 145.012. I will post pics.

I mean that dial has totally zero value to me, so which parts are definitely 2998?

I mean that dial has totally zero value to me, so which parts are definitely 2998?
The movement is within the 2998 range. So the buyer basically needed a movement. (and a bezel)
Edited:

I am sure the dial would clean up pretty well. What I cannot fathom is who would spend $5700 on a zero feedback seller who seems to have a fire sale on expensive watches. I know you can get your money back on ebay but the stress alone would not be worth it.

Like 3
I am sure the dial would clean up pretty well.
Are we looking at the same dial? ::confused2::

Like 9
Are we looking at the same dial? ::confused2::
i believe we are. I have seen worse than this brought back to life.

I’m a sucker for seeing the diamond in the rough, the dial with potential under a terrible crystal, how a sympathetic relume can breathe new life into a mouldy looking dial, but that dial is absolutely toast.

Like 6
Mmmm. The bezel is the best part. Movement looks a little manky but I am sure will clean up well after a full disassemble and service. I think the dial, case and caseback are pretty nasty, so agree that this was a bezel and movement purchase essentially. Solid price. I had it bookmarked but then removed it because I've had a bad experience with a zero feedback seller before...

Another 321 with two adjustments.
Is there a rhyme or reason for them?

Another 321 with two adjustments.
Is there a rhyme or reason for them?
I thought I'd read somewhere the two positions stamping and the OXG were on the North American delivered movements til the mid 70's? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Like 1
A bit late to the party maybe....

But lots of parts missing!!??

2.JPG

Like 1
A bit late to the party maybe....

But lots of parts missing!!??

Lots missing, and that thing has definitely seen some significant water intrusion...

Like 3