Forums Latest Members

“Not for Sale” Watches at the OB

1. watchos Sep 22, 2017

This week in my visit to the OB the sales person showed me a couple of models including the new Non limited edition Railmaster and mentioned that it’s not an actual watch meant to be sold, rather that it is some type of replica of sorts. Couldn’t quite understand what he meant. The watch seemed fully functional. What’s the story behind these? Are they similar to the cellphone dummies found in some electronic retailers? Do they have the actual calibers inside or some type of temp one? What are the differences with a real watch?

orlis likes this.
  2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 23, 2017

I think maybe she meant it’s a “display” model? If it was fully functional I doubt it was a replica or a dummy watch. But I can see why they would not sell the display model until the sell the actual stock they’re expecting. Specially since normally you can’t sell the display model at full price because it has no tags or protection and it has been worn

SpeedyPhill, cicindela and Foo2rama like this.
  3. ras47 Sep 23, 2017

I don’t think Omega would use dummy/demo models. When they say “not for sale” I think they mean they need to keep it for the display. When new watches come out and are in short supply initially, there are always folks that have to have it right away. I’ve seen people offer significantly more than retail for display watches.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2017

They do..

They are display models that have movements and everything. Most I have handled over the years at OBs around the world have no serial numbers.
    These get shipped around to the top turnover OBs prior to release. All (or more of most ) watch companies do this. Have seen Omega, JLC and Tudor do this.
    Like the 20 pr so they make of LE speedmasters that are usually 000/ of whatever number of LE there is. They had ST LEs doing tours in this way didn't they........ ( as they wouldn't do it with someone's watch )

Then there is also Demo models that you can sometimes get cheaper, like the one in the window that they will sell as it is a real watch with box papers and serial#

Edited Sep 23, 2017
  5. wristpirate Sep 23, 2017

I wonder what they do to these demo models after the whole of the LE line has sold. Sent back to the motherland and into the incinerator?

6. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2017

They're normally "carnet" watches.

From Wikipedia:

The ATA Carnet is an international customs document that permits the tax-free and duty-free temporary export and import of goods for up to one year. The Carnet eliminates the need to purchase temporary import bonds. So long as the goods are re-exported within the allotted time frame, no duties or taxes are due. Failure to re-export all or some of the goods listed on the Carnet results in the payment of applicable duties and taxes. Failure to remit those duties results in a claim from the foreign customs service to the importer's home country.

The ATA Carnet is jointly administered by the World Customs Organization (WCO) and the International Chamber of Commerce through its World Chambers Federation.[citation needed] The acronym ATA is a combination of French and English terms "Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission."[citation needed]

wristpirate and watchos like this.
  7. Ninja2789 Sep 23, 2017

I can only hope about this. I had the chance to see and try on the new Blancpain Milspec diver. Absolutely gorgeous. Also sold-out in a flash many many months ago. But here was an unclaimed example for demo purposes.

ras47 likes this.
  8. ras47 Sep 23, 2017

I’m surprised to learn that Omega uses dummy watches for display. Although I suppose the display cases are not the same as the watch counters. I’ve tried on lots of watches from the cases in OBs but they never open the display pedestals for folks to try on those watches. Probably a question of timing as far as why they’d put dummies on display. Start teasing them in displays before they can actually begin supplying the public with real watches.

9. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2017

Not dummies, samples.

Used for training, pre launch, press...

Not for resale, normally running a serial number that indicates they're not for sale/not to be serviced if someone shows up with one.

ras47 likes this.
  10. ras47 Sep 23, 2017

Ah, that squares better with my original thoughts.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  11. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2017

They get used quite a lot, and there are often quite a few made.

Using Omega as an example:

They'll make them for Basel, to show the new models off to the press.

They'll make several "Basel Carnets" (complete sets of of new models) to be used internationally, by sales trainers to trainer both OB and AD staff up on the new model line.

These watches are also sometimes the loan units that go out to press.

These are not for sale, and the ATA Carnet rules around them mean that no tax/import duty is paid as they're shipped from place to place, but they have to return to port of origin within a set time period.

On the trip to Bienne last year, a few of the team from Omega were wearing XXXX units of old LE's, I was told that these belong to the museum, and are sometimes loaned out for staff to wear at events.

So: Fully working, as production, not for sale, created as a demo unit that is not to be sold, but is purpose built for transport/use without incurring tax/duty.

Think: Salesmans Samples. ;)

watchos likes this.
  12. watchos Sep 23, 2017

I went to the OB today and asked about this again. The sales person mentioned that these are exact replicas and usually don’t have the oficial calibers but rather some ETA one. I guess it’s a way to start showcasing the unit before they reach full production capacity. Additionally he mentioned that not all OB get them.

13. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2017

I'd suggest that the salesperson has no idea what he's talking about. ::facepalm1::

the.watchdoc and Kmart like this.
  14. wristpirate Sep 23, 2017

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Sep 23, 2017

They're quite an interesting thing... enabling the temporary import of all sorts on interesting things!

wristpirate and STANDY like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 23, 2017

Deal with these at work a fair bit from motorbikes on world tours,international sporting goods, circuses, Zoo animals, shuttle stallions worth millions to concert equipment for rock bands.
    ( you would be surprised what a couple of Panda bears are worth :eek: )

As have mentioned before easy to fill out if your taking 10 watches overseas and don't want dramas at airports as they are internationally recognised

Edited Sep 23, 2017
    wristpirate and tyrantlizardrex like this.