Forums Latest Members

“Electric Blue” Seamaster quest

1. speedygrail Aug 27, 2020

So I’ve decided my next omega will be an electric blue seamaster with the sword hands.

the big question is, do I go 2265 (quartz) or the automatic version 2255.

I have just acquired my grail piece which is a normal speedmaster pro 3570.50.

I know some say don’t do quartz, if you have the choice, however, I was thinking I already have a mechanical and would be nice to have a travel grab and go piece.

Is the 2255 worth the extra $1,000?

2. arkman Aug 27, 2020

If you continue collecting, 5 years from now you will regret getting the quartz.

3. wsfarrell Aug 27, 2020

The dials are different on the two watches (I have both). The quartz, though blue, is more like paint--it doesn't change depth/color/reflectiveness as you move it in sunlight. A very pretty blue dial, but I wouldn't call it electric blue.

speedygrail likes this.
  4. kip595 Aug 27, 2020

FWIW, I think @wsfarrell has a good point about the dials, in my observation anyway.

Quartz vs auto though is more person-dependent to me. If you want a grab-n-go and the collector value isn't a huge factor, quartz might be the way to go. If you want one that can be serviced and worn by your grandkids, as well as holding any value better, I'd opt for the automatic.

Just my two cents. Enjoy the search! :)

speedygrail likes this.
  5. toolr Aug 27, 2020

Get the 2255, you'll be glad you did.

speedygrail likes this.
  6. Fusion Sep 6, 2020

I had the blue one for a while and ended up selling it, it just wasn't for me. The dial was gorgeous but the polished bezel bothered me and I also had a 2254.50 which I wore a lot more.. I also preferred the "speedmaster" style bracelet over the "bond" bracelet equipped on mine, which I could have swapped out for the speedy or even mesh and possibly liked it more. All this to say that everyone has their preferences and the blue wasn't mine. Regarding the movement I think you would be disappointed in the long term with the quartz. The automatic has much more substance to it. Watching that second hand sweep across the dial is well worth the extra cost. Might as well do it right. JhH5vHx-2.jpg iAYFmVS.png eVNAX2V.jpg d03MBxw.png

Clongwill, wolfe44 and speedygrail like this.
  7. speedygrail Sep 6, 2020

Thanks for the input guys. It seems Omega put more thought and effort in making the 2255 more premium in a few ways. So the 2255 it is.

Fusion and wolfe44 like this.