Forums Latest Members
  1. tomvox1 Feb 20, 2013

Very cool and looks to be in really nice condition.
    These have got to be damn rare for this simple reason that in the Shah's Iran there couldn't have been many people that could afford such a watch. I wonder if the elite were a powerful enough market for Omega to produce these in some limited numbers for retail sale or if they are more of a custom-type order?
    The only thing that would bother me is not knowing the day of the week or the month! But I guess it is a pretty (and I do mean pretty!) good motivation to begin dabbling in a foreign language. ;)
    Congrats & enjoy,
    T.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2013

Or the date for that matter! But I figure I can probably work out the day/date/month without my watch!

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2013

As well as the crown, there are two small pushers on the side, which I think change the day/date, which is imagine would also let in moisture.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2013

It has 2 small buttons on the side. One above and one below the crown:
    - the top one changes the month,
    - the bottom one changes the date (without changing the month when I go passed the 31)
    - the date is also 'quick set' (10-2), the day moves backwards when you use the quickset date function, so to set the day I need to just move the time forward.

So how do I change the moonphase?

5. Wheels Feb 20, 2013

Reading the date should be easy. The small scale around the outside edge of the dial counts from 1-31 in Arabic. You'll get used to it. You'll always know what month it is, a lot of 'normal' watches don't have the month on them. I'd just get someone to help you the first time and then if it stuffs up after that, you'll never know!

6. Shairan Feb 21, 2013

Congrats! Saw that on the ebay and saw it disappeared fast. Glad that to see it landed amongst this group :). Your dial is very nice and very rare.

7. Sgriff Mar 13, 2015

Dibs please!! :)

8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 14, 2015

its a cheap joke, but how about camel for the strap.....

Barking mad likes this.
  9. KIMBER Mar 14, 2015

Cheap but very funny!

10. opticalserenity Dec 13, 2015

I know this thread is old, but I thought I could add to the historical context here. My father tells me that back in the time of the Shah, there were actually quite a lot of watch stores in Iran, especially in the main cities. My family lived in Tehran, but he travelled all around the world (and throughout Iran) as part of his job in big pharma. He was a "watch guy" and so he purchased many watches throughout Iran. When I asked him about watches with farsi characters, he said the reason you don't see them very often is because people typically purchased the same models that were available throughout the world. As far as brands, he said the higher end brands you would typically see on well established people were Omega, Rolex, and Fortis. Breitling was also a brand that was seen, but typically it was on pilots. In fact, there is a model that they made at the request of the Shah, that he gifted to the "top guns" in their air force. Otherwise, people wore Seiko and Citizen quite a bit, especially post-Quartz days.

Also, it's unfortunately a popular myth that there were not many well to do people at the time of the shah. Peoples' financial situations were definitely better than today. :/ I was young when we had to escape the country due to the crazy theocrats, but everyone who lived through the time of the Shah and then afterward tells the same story of going from a wonderful time to a terrible time.

Sadly, my family escaped with very little in terms of possessions, but they brought over a gold women's Omega and a gold Fortis.

Very nice Omega here, I'd love to get one.

djmusicman, alphasquare and tpatta like this.
  11. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Dec 13, 2015

Thanks for the update. Pretty cool looking dial. Jackmond in Beverly Hills has one available.

12. obstando Dec 13, 2015

One thing here that seems very odd to me and I would love someone to explain - why does the watch have the Arabic number 3 at the 4 o'clock position (one of the advantages of having worked and lived in the Middle East for 6 years!!)?

13. obstando Dec 13, 2015

Google is my friend - the symbol is correct for number 4 in Persian (Farsi)

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 13, 2016