Forums Latest Members

«Watch strap ressource» Where to buy good quality leather watch straps

1. Joe_A Nov 2, 2018

I don't think this firm has been mentioned as yet, but they do carry a very large selection of inexpensive to fine leather (and other) straps:

https://www.watch-band-center.com/shop-watchstrap.html

I'm in the States, but I have ordered from them a number of times and the shipments are prompt.

Cheers,

Joe

[​IMG]

2. Dirtydan Nov 3, 2018

I have strong faith in Watchgeckos higher range offerings. They are based in the UK. I especially recommend their hand made straps. I have about 20 of their straps. I'm also a huge fan of Fluco, I really love their suede straps.

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  3. Millenary Watches Nov 10, 2018

Everest is my go-to strap. Both for leather and rubber.

4. Salgud Nov 10, 2018

I’ve had great luck with Finwatchstraps.com. I have three of their straps, to bottom rung, and one top. You custom order them, giving them the length, the lug with, the type of leather (there’s about 20 of these), the style (At least a dozen of these), the color of the stitching, and the style of the buckle. It takes about two weeks, plus shipping time. Sometimes much quicker. They range in price from about €50 to about €140.

4E9CFAC4-96CA-4DF5-924E-DAF654F3DC70.jpeg F43B401D-652E-4B35-A478-25D5506DD4D6.jpeg 4CDD82BE-0133-42F4-AF43-90F6E4250C4B.png
    The Father, Pun and Njnjcfp88 like this.
  5. Clayose Nov 11, 2018

Try Ashland leather. They use leather from the Horween tannery-really nice.

6. Njnjcfp88 Nov 16, 2018

Salgud, totally happy with that cool strap maker from Helsinki... I just put on the reindeer olive-green ( grayish looking) in 19mm I received today ( took only 10 days to NJ) on my ref 1819
    IWC from 1972. Sooooo supple. Worth the $140...

32EDB610-03D9-4831-9BCE-EA88BC1D9A55.jpeg F14BFC72-5DA8-49B0-B264-C85105974915.jpeg
    superfly likes this.
  7. haqq777 Nov 21, 2018

Gave Clockwork Synergy a fair shot but they only offer QR in straps I like and I am not a fan of quick release ones.

I have ordered at least a dozen straps from them (I liked their 'Dapper Collection' a lot btw) but now looking for something else in the same price range and with traditional spring bars. US based would be better since I would not have to deal with shipping etc. Got a few from Amazon based but they feel too cheap.

Any recommendations folks? Thanks

8. Loevhagen Nov 25, 2018

Nice and informative thread. After browsing all the sites mentioned in this thread, I ended up trying a shop that is not mentioned so far - so I'll chip in. Ordered three leather straps from MCL. Ended up with these and will report back when I receive them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lustrousaurus likes this.
  9. Loevhagen Nov 25, 2018

And one more thing
    There's also the possibility to buy a cheap, boring leather strap and apply som TLC and make it your own. Here's what I did last week. Bought a $16 leather vintage strap from CNS, and in the pictures it looked like this in the product photo. Not bad for $16.

[​IMG]

But - it turns out it actually looks like this IRL. Not so good, but quite boring...

[​IMG]

So - it was time for some TLC or DIY if you will. Took my suede shoe brush and brushed it. And then 10 min later, it looked like this:

[​IMG]

The Father, andrewwink, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  10. gostang9 Nov 25, 2018

The modified distressed look is quite nice. Reminds me of some custom straps made by @Fost . It’s a good look for a watch strap IMO.

Loevhagen and Millenary Watches like this.
  11. Sidrox25 Nov 27, 2018

Just got this strap from Diaboliq Straps.

[​IMG]

The Father and haqq777 like this.
  12. Loevhagen Dec 14, 2018

These are fantastic. What a craftsmanship. :)

[​IMG]

lustrousaurus and haqq777 like this.
  13. dantheman3u4i Dec 14, 2018

I am wishing I came by this page earlier....

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 14, 2018

Finished product from D9 BE59D023-83E5-44C8-B8DA-2BF9C8D01BE0.jpeg 420B5C10-6C63-4ED5-BBB6-B8321EBA74A0.jpeg D7A43E2E-E323-4C68-92D8-44A3C42C7C02.jpeg

Clintos77, quito, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  15. Loevhagen Dec 16, 2018

Some close-ups of the finish. Can't fail it at all. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hotsauz Dec 20, 2018

Has anyone dealt with HannsonLeather on Etsy? I have sent messages on Etsy as well as Emails to inquire about customization and I have never gotten back a response. I am wondering about your experiences with them. Thanks in advance.

17. dstern Dec 20, 2018

@sdre posted about Hanson Leather in this thread.

hotsauz likes this.
  18. hugo2703 Dec 25, 2018

There is TheLeatherStrap Rom Italy. You can find them on extraman. Good price and quality and good range of colours :)

19. Loevhagen Dec 25, 2018

I have now used the straps from MCL and - both the finish and colour toning are just perfect.

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 25, 2018
    andrewwink likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 25, 2018

Just found this New York Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/...=RelatedCoverage&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

A (Watch) Band Apart

[​IMG]
    In Paris, Atelier du Bracelet Parisien makes custom designed watch straps in a variety of leathers, linings and stitching.CreditCreditAgnes Dherbeys for The New York Times

By Libby Banks
    • Sept. 7, 2015
    A handful of small, select ateliers scattered around Europe let owners treat their watch straps as part of their wardrobe. And while the market for bespoke watch straps may be a niche one, it definitely is growing.

“We make more or less 5,000 to 6,000 straps each year. This figure is increasing about 10 percent more every year,” said Yann Perrin, co-owner of Atelier du Bracelet Parisien, the 18-year-old Paris-based business, generally known as A.B.P., which offers clients almost infinite ways to freshen up their Rolexes, Patek Philippes or Audemars Piguets.

Manufacturers of women’s timepieces have long been wise to the power of color. Dior, for example, created alligator straps for its Dior VIII watch that precisely match the violet and blue palette of Raf Simons’s spring 2015 collection. And Chanel’s Boy.Friend watch, introduced this month, has alligator straps in red or navy that coordinate with two of the house’s most popular nail polishes.

For the Wrist
    10 Photos

View Slide Show ›

[​IMG]

Agnes Dherbeys for The New York Times
    But, Mr. Perrin said, the men’s market for changeable bands also is increasing. “Men are less and less afraid with using colors and special tannings and leather finishes,” he said, adding that alligator increasingly is considered a very masculine choice.

A trip to the A.B.P. atelier off the Rue Saint Honoré in Paris presents a dizzying number of options: 50 kinds of animal leathers, each in as many as 300 colors; 600 stitching colors; and hundreds of lining materials in varied colors, all of which can be combined to create straps in 20 different thicknesses.

A simple leather version of the common NATO nylon strap (first issued in the 1970s for the British military) takes an artisan only 30 minutes to make. But, Mr. Perrin said, more complex concoctions require about 100 different processes and can take as long as 18 hours.

“The possibilities are endless; we use a lot of rare leathers such as hippopotamus, elephant, cordovan” from a horse, he said. “My favorite leathers are alligator, python, calf and shark.” An A.B.P. strap costs an average of 250 euros, or $287, but prices can rise to €750.

The growth of the men’s fashion market has outpaced women’s for the past five years, according to luxury goods reports by Bain & Company, the global management consulting firm. So, as men’s wear has expanded, it’s not unexpected that male watch fans are experimenting beyond the conservative and quintessentially classic. After all, a zingy stingray, ostrich or alligator watchband offers both a discreet hint of dandy and a relatively affordable price tag.

“Watch trends evolve pretty much separately from fashion, in terms of materials, but they do pick up on those bigger cultural shifts in the way men are thinking about their clothes,” said Nick Sullivan, fashion director at American Esquire. “Men are definitely thinking more of watches as integral parts of their wardrobes — and owning more watches accordingly. In the old days men tended to wear the same watch with everything.

“Custom bands are allowing them to get more permutations out of their watches and put their personal stamp on a treasured possession,” he said.

Unlike the internationally recognizable watch brands, most watch strap businesses are small independent and artisanal operations, such as Camille Fournet in Paris, which has a website program that allows clients to make choices in 14 categories to create a custom order for delivery anywhere in the world, and Di Stefano Straps, an atelier in Florence, Italy, that specializes in recreating vintage straps.

The new Chanel Boy.Friend watch has alligator straps in red or navy that coordinate with two of the house’s most popular nail polishes.
    [​IMG]
    The new Chanel Boy.Friend watch has alligator straps in red or navy that coordinate with two of the house’s most popular nail polishes.
    Luxury houses also have entered the field. La Montre Hermès, for example, opened its own strap atelier in 2006 and has a bespoke option for customers.

“The strap is now an important part of the watch, something which always used to be considered as secondary,” said Philippe Delhotal, creative director at La Montre Hermès. “This is the one element that you can easily change and that gives the impression of having a new watch. A nice material, a special texture or color makes a big difference to the overall look of the watch.”

Creating bands can be a time-consuming process, he said, estimating that an alligator strap for the luxury house’s In the Pocket watch takes craftsmen about a week to produce from start to finish.

A look from across the New York Times at the forces that shape the dress codes we share, with Vanessa Friedman as your personal shopper.

Jean Rousseau, a leather accessories manufacturer and tannery established in Besançon, France, in 1954. Jacques Bordier took over the business in 1999, initially focusing on watch straps for high-end Swiss brands. Then in 2001, he opened a bespoke atelier in Paris as a way of building brand awareness.

Dior created alligator straps for its Dior VIII watch that precisely matched the violet and blue palette of Raf Simons’s spring 2015 collection.
    [​IMG]
    Dior created alligator straps for its Dior VIII watch that precisely matched the violet and blue palette of Raf Simons’s spring 2015 collection.
    The service, now expanded to Tokyo and London, has become a significant part of the business, providing about 10 percent of the company’s annual revenue. A boutique recently opened on Madison Avenue in New York, and two more are planned for Asia in 2016.

Prices for a bespoke calfskin strap starts at about €90, rising to more than €550 for exotic leathers. “You could have diamonds embedded in the strap; you could have it stitched with gold or platinum thread; and we do embroidery — we recently created one embroidered with cherry tree flowers for a Japanese client,” Mr. Bordier said.

The company also has its own tannery, so while exotic leather bands sell for €550, a client could pay about €1,400 for a band that matches his Savile Row suit or a Bugatti’s paint job.

Despite the dazzling number of options, Mr. Bordier said most clients take a subdued approach. “Black is still the most popular,” he acknowledged.

But, “the type of bespoke we offer is much more subtle” than just color, he said. “Nowadays, I think the ultimate luxury is not only producing something beautiful, but exactly to the customer’s taste and needs. That comes down to details: the color of the thread, or mixing alligator with a rubber lining.”

Mr. Perrin echoed the sentiment, saying a bespoke watchband is an opportunity to be distinctive in what can be a bland horological universe. “My best advice is not to select too classic a strap,” he said. “It doesn’t have to be funky, but the client should select a strap that is as original and unusual as its owner.”

nttisch23 and Deafboy like this.