Forums Latest Members

WTB WTB Vintage Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 1950s-1960s

1. Queue Eat any good books lately? Aug 2, 2014

Hello,

I'm looking to pick up some 1950s and early 1960s model Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Milsubs are a plus and a 1953-1955 original Fifty Fathom would be great. Please feel free to contact me with high resolution pictures of the watch, including, dial (with clear shots of dial condition and luminous material condition), caseback, and if possible inside of caseback, the second caseback (on pieces that have one), and movement. I'm looking for pieces in good condition or better, but feel free to email me if you feel I may be interested in a piece with interesting provenance but not excellent condition. It can't hurt!

Thanks!

Jeff

[email protected]

2. woodwkr2 Aug 2, 2014

Jeff,

Welcome to the forums! I've got a nice Blancpain Fifty Fathoms AquaLung listed on my site. Here: http://secondtimeticking.com/?product_cat=collection Lots of pretty pictures for you to look through; I'll warn you that there's a blemish on the dial front that doesn't show up very well in the photos... visible on a sunny afternoon, though.

Finding a clean, original example is getting pretty treacherous. Most of the time it's not so difficult to detect the faked cases (usually faked milsubs), but the dials can be especially problematic. If the dial looks too good, it should raise the alarm bells. In any case, make sure you get some help evaluating a potential purchase before you buy it. Feel free to get in touch, or ask around. There's some very knowledgable collectors around here--it's not just Omega.

Cheers,
    Byron