Forums Latest Members
  1. Naveedmardi Jul 23, 2014

I recently was gifted an Omega Seamaster from my grandfather. I have always been big into Omega yet I haven't been able to find a reference number for this watch or any identical watches online either. I was told it is from 1975. Could be that exact date or close to that date. Everything is original. The band number is #172, which I have found online. Can anyone help me find a reference number, possible value, and other helpful details of the watch? I'm excited to start my omega collection off with this omega and can't wait to hear the information image.jpg image.jpg you guys find! If you guys need any other information I will be more than happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks,
    Naveed

Event horizon, bieb1 and Varasc like this.
  2. Georgieboy58 Jul 24, 2014

Google for Omega 176.010 or 176.0010 (aka Yachtmaster).
    This is a good piece to start your collection with as it's a relatively rare variant of the 176.xxx series.

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 24, 2014

gatorcpa, repoman and citizenrich like this.
  4. Naveedmardi Jul 24, 2014

Thanks for all of you're all guys! I'm even more excited now with what I have!

Naveed H

5. bieb1 Jul 24, 2014

Hi Naveed, welcome to the forum. A very nice watch you have there! It looks to be in great shape and the family connection makes it even more special.

Mine says hello...;)
    yachttimer.jpg

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 24, 2014

You don't see many or those, your grandfather has excellent taste. Two points, firstly you need to service it before wearing it or you could do damage, spend the money and get it done by a quality independent watchmaker, making sure they do not polish it.

Secondly, do not get it wet, I'm spite of the fact that it says Seamaster on the dial and is for yachting, it isn't water resistant anymore and if water gets in, it'll be wrecked. Keep it dry and get it serviced.

Event horizon likes this.
  7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 24, 2014

Thats one fine looking watch.

8. repoman Jul 24, 2014

Congrats Naveed, a fine watch, thanks for sharing it with us. +1 what dsio said, service it and enjoy.

9. fc2 Jul 25, 2014

10. Naveedmardi Jul 25, 2014

Thank you all for the welcoming and advice! How often should I service mine?

I noticed that the second chrono is different too. Is it unoriginal therefore devaluing the watch? How much would this type of watch sell for?

And I appreciate the no water rule! Even in case of washing my hands I will avoid contact.

To the best o

11. Naveedmardi Jul 25, 2014

Or could it be original, just a different colored second chrono hand?

12. bieb1 Jul 25, 2014

Naveed,

If the watch has been serviced in the past, it is possible that they changed the hands and did not replace them with all the correct ones. Not a dramatic problem, but of course this has some impact on the value for collectors. The hour and minute hands look correct, although it looks like they lost their tritium fill (can be re-lumed by a watch maker). The small sub dial hands also look correct, but it is difficult to see on the picture if they are very white (and new) or a little faded (in which case probably original). The minute hand of the chrono is the correct type, but the wrong colour (should be orange) and the second hand is both the wrong type and the wrong colour. I believe both correct type hands can still be ordered via Ofrei.com, but not sure if they are still available in orange.

If this is a family heirloom and you plan to wear it, I suggest to get it serviced at a good watch maker and make sure they fit the proper hands. They will return the original hands for you to keep and you will have a watch that runs properly and looks correct. The only thing with new service hands is that the luminous material will be luminova and this has a more birght glow than the original tritium on the dial. Again, for collectors this is a problem, but for everyday wear it is fine.

If you plan to keep the watch in a box for very infrequent wear or for selling at a later stage, in that case I would do nothing or perhaps only a movement service. But you have to make sure they will not polish the case or replace any other components.

Value wise, I have seen prices between 2000$, which I think is a bit low and 4500$ as the highest. Condition, originality and condition of the case (polished or not) will all have an impact on value. As mentioned by others, not many are available, which makes pricing difficult.

Hope this helps.

example of correct type/shape hands on Yachting chrono (Google picture - not my watch)
    image.jpg

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2014

I'd service it once every 5 years or whenever it has problems

14. Naveedmardi Jul 26, 2014

Thanks for the help! Do you guys recommend a watchmaker to get it serviced at? I am in Austin.

Also are there any sites or places that sell original pieces? Therefore I can replace the unoriginal hands?

As for the second hand chrono there is a little splash of orange near the back so I'm assuming it is original just faded. The chrono hand is what I'm thinking is the only price that I would try and find the original for.

Thanks!

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 26, 2014

Try Archer. He's based in Canada but is an Omega guru.

16. Pasbru Jul 26, 2014

Try, www.ofrei.com for the hand you are looking for, recommendation above is a known watchmaker here on the forum and can get you the parts you need as well. Nice watch!

17. Naveedmardi Jul 26, 2014

Thanks you both!

18. Naveedmardi Nov 10, 2014

Hi all! Is this a 20mm or 22mm strap? I just want to be sure. Couldn't find online and want reassurance!! Thanks!

19. Pasbru Nov 10, 2014

22mm