Forums Latest Members

What do I need to know to buy a Winder?

1. epl108 Jul 24, 2014

I'm still pretty new to this, but now have a few automatic watches that I'd like to keep on a winder when not wearing. Like the watches they wind, the winders have a HUGE variance in prices - from $30-$40 bucks up to multiple thousands of dollars. I don't want to spends thousands, but also don't want something that will have to be replaced in 6 months or that won't do the job it's supposed to do. I think something that holds 2 watches would be perfect for me. What should I e looking for? Programmable? Certain brands? Specific technologies? Is there a "sweet spot" with prices where you get the best quality/dollar - I'm not worried about fancy wood, or very exotic design; I'm much more concerned with function.

Feel free to post links to any suggested pieces or PM me if you'd prefer.

Thanks all!

Hijak likes this.
  2. Alex_TA Jul 24, 2014

Google Wolf Module 2.7.

JohnSteed likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 24, 2014

Personally, I don't bother with a winder, and let my watches rest when not on the wrist. After all, most of them are decades old, and deserve some downtime now and then. ;)

woodwkr2 likes this.
  4. JohnSteed Jul 24, 2014

IMHO .. Not really needed if there's no day or date function. I mostly use my 2 as storage. LoL

Wolf a good brand to check out. But don't spend $ there until you've 'aged' a bit at this,

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. woodwkr2 Jul 28, 2014

Yup. Why add wear and tear to vintage parts?

Darlinboy likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2014

Don't buy more than a 2 head winder. As a former owner of a single, dual, and quad winder from various brands it's a waste of money. I have a 5 or 6 year old TechSwiss quad that 3 heads still work - 1 just stopped a few weeks ago. I only keep the 2 modern watches I wear most often on it, and use the 3rd if I chose an automatic for the next day and set it the night before.

epl108 likes this.
  7. panamavin Jul 29, 2014

I would agree with some points previous posters mentioned....If you have day/date yes it's a good idea, and it's a good idea to let them rest occasionally. I've had the Brookstone quad watch winder(http://www.brookstone.com/watch-winders-quad) for a couple of years without issues(knock on wood!). If you google brookstone coupons you can find some good ones that will knock the price down and may include free shipping. You can go on orbitas website(http://www.orbita.com/database-search/) and find what settings you need to put your winder to which the Brookstone model has.

doubleosullivan likes this.