Forums Latest Members

* Wanted to let everyone know...

1. zcymontmae Oct 12, 2014

my prayers is with you Al, hoping for your fast recovery.

2. TNTwatch Oct 13, 2014

Wish you a full recovery soon and hope you're having a nice Thanksgiving weekend, Al!

3. Omega78 Oct 13, 2014

Hi Al, I think you should drink less coffee, wish you getting better and better
    Cheers

4. yande Oct 13, 2014

Al, thanks for that reply, (you textual writing is beyond compare)... and.. yeah, apologies about the American diet.. My bad...

Both my wife and I gave up smokes 14 months ago, (she smoked a lot!) and hence both of us have stacked on the weight of late. At 56, the past tends to be the present. But there is nothing better than being a non smoker!!

I get what you are saying about our Australian diet. Hence my comments about our obesity rates near over taking those on the mainland USA. It's not good. Like you, I hope my awareness of eating healthy, even 5 years vegetarian, will assist me in the future.

Uncle Buck, thanks for being a great bloke. I hoped you would be the man you are. Lenient, and forgiving... For I know you are generous... Those girls!!

So, heading into my 6th decade, I feel blessed. My wife has no idea about processed food. It is preferably fish, (being Cantonese ) and vegetables, lightly steamed, occasional pork, beef, and always Rice. I'm blessed, but I did pray for it. But then, every man has his weakness. Mine is called Beer..

Keep well Al, sounds corny and forgive me, but "smell the roses.." For you gave so many of them to us.. Seriously Man! Kick back...

5. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Oct 22, 2014

Here's hoping your recovery is going well, Al; it's obvious you are quite adored here...

All the best!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 22, 2014

I am certainly feeling better each day - not nearly as tired as I was right after this happened. I now have a cold, but other than that and some outstanding arthritis pains I feel pretty good. Changes have been made to some arthritis medications, so we'll see how that goes. Also looking into the so called "biologic" medications again, but not sure I will go there - effective for the arthritis but can have some pretty serious side effects.

Meet with a dietician later this month, and so far I have been very careful with what I have been eating, so I'm actually hoping they will let me eat a few more tasty things than I am now - bit of a mind game going out very hard and restricted on this, trying to get used to that, and then seeing my "new normal" as being easier than I am being now...if that make sense...

I have actually tinkered with a watch or two this week. I had quite a few watches done and in final testing before this happened, but most of those have shipped, so I am just trying to putter away at a few that I already had started. But taking it easy for sure.

Cheers, Al

GrouchoM, Fritz and citizenrich like this.
  7. bish789 Oct 22, 2014

As I've said earlier Al, look after your own ticker. Glad to see you're perking up

8. Jimos Oct 22, 2014

Great to hear you're feeling better Al. Ironic that a world class archer and watchmaker suffers from arthritis. I hope your docs find a good balance between those necessary meds and the future good health of your ticker.
    Best, Jimos

9. jakeh417 Oct 23, 2014

Great to hear you are doing well Al. I have been away for awhile and havent followed the forums at all, I just read this. To a full and speedy recovery for you. Kind regards.

10. Daytona12 Oct 23, 2014

Al, I too have not been paying a lot of attention in recent weeks. Glad your are getting to feeling better. All the best!

11. 88cut Oct 23, 2014

Get well soon!

12. ketiljo Oct 24, 2014

Good to hear. Hang in there Al!

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Oct 24, 2014

Good to see you're on the mend.

Take it slow and careful.....

14. Baco Noir Oct 24, 2014

Al, I know how hard the dietary restrictions can be. The first time I went shopping after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes as an adult I probably spent 3 hours in the store reading the fine print of each label. It felt horrible and I wanted to cry (and that's not my thing). Over time it has all become engrained in me and is second nature rather than a chore. Hang in there through the education part and know it becomes much easier over time.

15. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

Archer how are things going now?

dougiedude and JohnSteed like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 29, 2014

Hey guys - I am good thanks. I met with the food lady yesterday and went over my diet, and she was impressed that I had cut back on the bad stuff. As I'd hoped, she said I didn't have to be quite so restrictive, so other than a few things she suggested I eat more of (mainly fiber and getting more calcium and also getting some vitamin D) am very much on track from a diet standpoint. Keeping sodium below 1500 mg/day, fat to 55 g/day, and cholesterol to 200 a day.

Latest blood test results were quite good, and now my HDL and LDL are within acceptable limits, so although they were only just outside what they should have been, they have now been adjusted and it's all good.

I am on a different medication for my arthritis, and this one is easier on the heart, but it's not controlling the arthritis very well, so I am living in a fair bit of pain these days. If I don't see improvement by the end of this week, I'll have to get back with my rheumatologist to see what other options are available in the short term. Hard to get my arms above shoulder level, so working at the bench is difficult. Pain killers help, but I hate taking them.

Just got the notice that cardiac rehab will start early December for my first set of stress tests, and then they can get an exercise plan together.

Things are coming along well overall.

Cheers, Al

Baco Noir, lando, dkpw and 13 others like this.
  17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 29, 2014

Good news Al, I'm genuinely pleased for you. My Dad has found out what a balancing act the various medications are - lose weight, change steroids for something else and put on weight; change steroids, lose weight....... and so it goes on. I hope they find your right balance soon to sort out both ailments.

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 29, 2014

Glad your on the mend Al!

19. dkpw Oct 31, 2014

Hi Al,

I've not been on the forum for a wee while and was sorry to have read that you've been ill. However it's great news to hear that you're on the road to recovery. Like you I know what a pain arthritis is, I have a combination of psoriatic arthritis and gout inflammation. I also know what you mean about the pain killers, I try to skip a day here and there.

So good luck to you, do what the Docs tell you ;) and please keep us informed of your progress!

Kind regards,

David

20. swils8610 Oct 31, 2014

Feel better Al!