Forums Latest Members

Universal At Antiquorum March 17, 2013

1. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 2, 2013

Three vintage wristwatches for Universal in this Geneva sale

Lot 65 is a gold Tri-Compax ref 12264 which looks to be a rather blatant redial to my eye - check out the date ring around the moonphase in particular. I also doubt UG would have slapped hour markers on top of printing (the 1,5,7,11 batons). Antiquorum are calling it original.

65.jpg

Lot 193 is a black dial Compax that they are mysteriously calling a circa 1960 model, despite a case number and reference that puts it in the 1930s. They are also calling this dial original - maybe, but I'm not convinced, especially the "Compax" printing and the real age of the watch. 193.jpg

Finally, lot 341 is a 1960's model steel TriCompax which looks quite correct and original - good example of an original dial. Compared with the first watch up above, the over-inking on Lot 65 becomes more obvious.
    341.jpg

2. woodwkr2 Apr 5, 2014

193.jpg

I think I've finally figured out lot 193. I actually set out to prove that this watch was both a re-dial and a franken. In fact, I think that I've successfully failed at both explanations and instead authenticated it.

Lot 193, is not at all a 1960s piece. It dates to the 1930s when Universal was still employing the railroad track printing in the subdials. So rather than being a re-dial as we know is the case on later watches that end up with incorrect railroad tracks, this piece is right at the cusp of a transitional period for the Universal subdial. During the transition, the subdials were to change to the style that we now think of as being "correct", which is pictured in the very similar piece that Universal made for Girard-Perregaux several years later.

Based on the dating--an imprecise art at best--it appears that Lot 193 dates to 1936-1938. The example GP that I present below, contains a case number that dates to 1938-1941. So the Universal piece came first, and represents one of the very earliest known Compax examples. Interestingly,one of the flaws in the "Compax" die, the forshortened "X" that looks like it's slightly askew from the rest of the lettering, is also present in an example pictured in Sala that dates to 1939. The fairly crude die appears to have only been used in this initial period during the changeover from Compur to Compax. At some point early on, the die must have been corrected.

For the GP commission, it thus appears that Universal recycled some of their dial dies and designs, while simultaneously modernizing them with the addition of the newly produced subdial designs.

Below, I present an entirely correct GP example exhibiting the original Universal outer tract and numerals in a quite distinctive font that would likely be very difficult to replicate in a redial, as well as the mentioned "modern" subdial printings:
    736493954_o.jpg
    736493962_o.jpg
    736493973_o.jpg

736493978_o.jpg
    736493983_o.jpg

citizenrich and luzer like this.
  3. woodwkr2 Apr 6, 2014

Well it appears that one of the famous European re-dialing shops has the font on these numerals nailed. In the example coming out of Italy, below, the seller fully discloses that the dial has been restored. The case dating puts this between 1930 and 1936, and I believe that this falls squarely within the time period where the subdials should contain the railroad track printing. In my review of original railroad track subdials, I've noticed that there is quite a bit of variety in the typeset and specific style, so there's no one-size-fits-all conclusion that will make the analysis of these early period pieces any easier for the novice--which is in keeping with everything coming out of Universal, so frustrating or not, it appears to be one of the quirks and charms of collecting these pieces.

So my conclusions above still hold, but the dies with these unusual, stylized numerals are out there, FYI.
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 10.46.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 10.50.18 AM.png

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 6, 2014

I wouldn't call that anywhere close to "nailed." It's a screamer of a redial, whereas that one that you are analyzing isn't.

5. rolokr Apr 8, 2014

I recently met with a representative from Antiquroum, I shoowed her six all original UG tri-compax and she did NOT even blink an eye!
    I'm not impressed with Antiquroum, they did not even seem interested in any of my 50+ all original vintage time pieces! Gubelin, Patek Philippe,
    UG, and many other top brands. I'm going to start to put pictures on this site where the real collectors are!

Mark020 likes this.
  6. rolokr Apr 8, 2014

The representative from Antiquroum acted like the only thing they were interested in were nos dials on the vintage watches. This is not realistic?
    Most of my watches do have original dials,, they only want mint ones? Then look at the garbage dial on that UG Tri-compax above. Thumbs down to Antiquroum !

x3no and citizenrich like this.
  7. woodwkr2 Apr 8, 2014

I think this happens when a seller or estate, who owns a real jewel, refuses to split up the collection and pushes AQ's hand when it comes to taking the rest of the pieces. Though there is still no excuse for them not doing their homework and properly vetting everything that they auction.

Mark020 and citizenrich like this.
  8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 8, 2014

Can't wait to see those pictures :thumbsup: