Forums Latest Members

Taking The Bull By The Horns – Quick Guide on Vintage Bullhead Chronographs

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 21, 2014

[​IMG]
    Since the late 1990s producing large watches became a trend that I think Panerai started. Obviously there were larger watches before but the Florentine brand was the first to gain huge worldwide success with their over sized timepieces - even if the design was not new but a re-modeling of their early divers from the 1940s. After that things got out of hand quickly and for some reason watch manufacturers thought the only way to go is bigger and bigger. Panerai was the barrier breaker, or were they not? When we think about the 1950s and early 1960s we picture […]
    The post Taking The Bull By The Horns – Quick Guide on Vintage Bullhead Chronographs appeared first on Fratello Watches.

2. woodwkr2 Aug 22, 2014

I'd be a lot more keen to read your generally very well done articles... If not for the click baiting.

Post it here or post it there. Better yet, post it here in its entirety with a link to your site.

When you write a good article, people explore!

Just my $0.02, but it's not the first time I've been interested, opened the post on the forum, read the lead, and then passed. On principle.

/end rant.

Sincerely,
    Ink stained wretch

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

These posts are an auto set up by Ash and Trev. Complain to them if you don't like the way it works.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2014

Yep we do it based on the RSS feed, we tend to like RJ's work so wanted to bring it here for people to read and discuss, internet etiquette demands we don't post it in full, and google would punish us for it if we did.

5. woodwkr2 Aug 23, 2014

Makes sense about the auto post by RSS feeds.

And I agree that RJ's work is generally quite good.

But I'm not sure how driving traffic to a 3rd party site promotes discussion here.

How would google punish OF if the article were posted in full?

Seems like you could accomplish the dual objectives of promoting discussion on the OF, and promoting OF and RJ's site with the google page rank algorithms by posting the article here, in full, with a link at the end to RJ's site.

As it stands now, I wonder how many other users are annoyed by what they assume is RJ's click baiting? Maybe I'm the only one. Maybe not.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2014

Ok, if google detects significant duplicated content both sites are penalised, thats why those sites that used to rank high because they copied millions of pages off wikipedia no longer show up in searches because google killed them off. We don't compete with Fratellowatches as they are in a different area, we're a community discussion forum that doesn't try to be a formal content creator and RJ doesn't have his own forum but rather has in-house produced content.

Clickbaiting is another thing entirely, that would be if we had a headline with no text like "Omega produces FREE Speedmaster Pro" and it was linked to an article saying that it was... Free of mercury or something silly. It means trying to convince people to click on a link promising one thing and then delivering something completely different, in this case its a preview of an article which if you find interesting you can read the rest of, with no paywall or hinderances.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 24, 2014

I don't think its click baiting at all.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2014

While some forums want faithful and exclusive loyalty(to the point of obsession), we have an open and non exclusive design. We are anxious to share in a community based network where dissemination of material and ideas comes ahead of whether it helps other venues or profits the code. We have no masters to please, other then the great and powerful Architect who wants his people to grow and prosper. :D

Mothra likes this.
  9. woodwkr2 Aug 26, 2014

Sorry for the delay in response. I am currently on the road, but wanted to follow up so that my lack of reply didn't sound like "sour grapes."

My bottom line is the following: Omega Forums and the founders/mods here have provided a wonderful service to me and countless other users. I sincerely appreciate this and respect your decisions to offer content in this way. I've expressed my personal reservations and you've clearly considered them and even been kind enough to reply and offer an explanation.

That's good enough for me. Thanks for offering this space.

Mothra likes this.